Author Topic: how to  (Read 1890 times)

Offline cowboy682

• View Profile
how to
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:33:17 pm »
hi all from the UK
bevel cutting
l can do the one`s that allow the piece to drop down but how do you do the one`s that stand pride of your work piece if you know what l mean,
thanks Graham 

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
Re: how to
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:55:05 pm »
Hi Graham, one of the things that effects this type of cutting is which way your table tilts, to go from drop downs to raised you need to cut in the opposite direction, if your drop downs are cut clockwise then to make them proud you need to cut anticlockwise, I hope that this makes sense.
happy scrolling
Steve
(also in the UK)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:56:36 pm by loftyhermes »
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline cowboy682

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:59:31 pm »
hi steve
my table tilts both ways

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:03:31 pm »
Lofty is right on! :)  He beat me to the post!  You just tilt the table opposite (toward the center of the piece) instead of AWAY from the center when it drops down.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline cowboy682

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »
is there a video of this?

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »
I have one on my site to cut the piece where the center pushes IN (or BACK).  Just tilt the saw in the opposite direction for it to come FORWARD.  (I suggest a test cut or two on scraps of the same thickness you will be using just to be sure of your angle!) ;)

Here is the link to my video page. It is on the bottom on the left. :)

http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/page/481031596

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline cowboy682

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 05:06:55 pm »
thanks for the link l think l will have to practice a little more, l can do it when l do a circle from one end of a piece of wood but when l try it the same way it drops down!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:34:22 pm »
Cowboy - another way is to print your pattern backwards. Then when you cut it and it drops down, it will be sticking out the bottom right-way-around. Flip the piece over and it will be raised up.

But most people will put the pattern on normally and tilt the table in the opposite direction. So if you draw a circle on the wood, tilt your table 2 degrees to the Right, pilot hole and position you blade at the 9 o'clock position and move your wood clockwise to cut a circle, the top surface of the circle is bigger than the bottom surface and you get a drop down circle.

If you did the same except pilot hole at 3 o'clock and move the wood counter-clockwise to make the cut, then the top surface of the circle is smaller than the bottom surface and you get a raised circle.

If you prefer to move the wood clockwise, then instead tilt the table 2 degrees to the Left, pilot hole at 9 o'clock, and cut by moving the wood clockwise to get a raised circle.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:04 am »
I think that the easiest way to describe this is.......
Tilt the table a few degrees and make a practice cut of a circle. If the center wants to drop down instead of up, make another practice cut from the other side of the blade and it will rise up from the background.
If it sticks up or down too much, add another degree or two the table tilt. If it is not deep enough, take a degree or two off of the table tilt.
Keep trying, you'll get there in short order.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline cowboy682

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »
thanks a lot will have to keep practicing :-[

SMF

Teknoromi