Author Topic: Best material for portraits  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Martin

• View Profile
Re: Best material for portraits
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 02:45:36 am »
In thinking this over, I tried an attachment for my rotary tool to get rid of the fuzzies

I imagine you need a steady hand and a keen eye to do this, especially around the more fragile areas. A steady hand and a keen eye are something I no longer possess.  I'm still going to give it a try, but I have a feeling my last subject will end up with a blank look on their face. :)

Old Crow

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:53 am »
I never tried that one Mike, I thought it might be too aggressive. I will have to give it a try.
Don R

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 07:57:52 pm »
When you use BLO do you have any trouble getting the backer board to adhere?  What do you use for glue?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:15 am »
After the project is finished I apply it to the backer by turning it face down, put some Alene's Tacky Glue in a plastic lid (like a butter tub) and 'paint' the glue on the back of the project and then place it on backer. Then I take a piece of 3/4" plywood and place it over the top, weight it down with a gallon can of paint and let dry for about 2 hours.

I have never had any project separate using this method even with the back coated with the BLO mix or any other finish.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 03:05:15 pm »
That's exactly what I do GB, except I use bricks to weigh it down!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 04:20:26 pm »
Dan...your hands are younger than mine....paint cans have handles and bricks don't!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Loudog

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 06:58:27 pm »
Maybe a small alcohol lamp would work, I use one to remove the small thread tags on windings when fishing rod building.

ChuckD

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:02 pm »
I do it pretty much the way GB does.  Other than the bottom board being a throw away I also use a throw away board for the top.  Could be anything, poster board, laun board (door skins) scrap ply, anything that works.  That way you don't have to mess with the pattern at all.
One more little hint.  Remove the fuzzies by fire before you use the BLO-Mineral Spirits .  Don't ask..:):):)

SMF

Teknoromi