Author Topic: Using Inkscape  (Read 3120 times)

tdpainter

Using Inkscape
« on: October 21, 2013, 05:37:20 pm »
Hello Just started using inkscape for my patterns but ran into a problem when I wanted to save it. I was wondering if I could save it as a jpeg? or what file type would I have to save it as in order to upload it to this site? any help on this would be great.

Thanks  TDPainter.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: Using Inkscape
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 06:32:00 pm »
In Inkscape, I save it as PLAIN SVG to my desktop. Then open it GIMP (another free program) and then save it as jpeg.
I'm sure there are other ways to do this......

in GIMP...
1.   File?Open the SVG file. Checkerboard image will show.
2.   Layer?New Layer?Layer Fill Type = White? OK.          All white! Don?t worry!
3.   Layer?Stack?Layer To Bottom.
4.   Image?Flatten Image.
5.   File?Save as (Export) GIF (smaller file) or JPG.
   Done.

Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

tdpainter

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:16:51 pm »
Thanks Pete Got it to work first Try I use gimp for my patterns now but learning inkscape as well because I heard that if I take my patterns there and use the trace bitmap tool, that it would makie smoother lines, or easier for the scroll sawer to cut or something like that.. I'm not a scrollsawer so I don't know much about what the lines are like when printed or how thick they should be in order to be cut, but I love making them for those that love to do their great work.   

Thanks again

Have a great day.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:01:25 pm »
Travis - one thing. When you open the SVG in GIMP you'll see the checkerboard background. That is actually a transparent background. If you save that image as is as a gif, then it can be imported into other programs and the checkerboard parts will be transparent (this does not work for jpg). E.g., If you park the image on top of some text in Word, you can still see the text between the black trace lines of the image. (I use GIMP ver 2.6.2)

One other thing - if you don't want the transparency, then after opening the SVG in GIMP, just use [Image][Flatten Image] to put in the white background (if white is set as the secondary color as it is as default). Then save as gif or jpg. I like gif - seems to be smaller, especially if just black and white are used in the image.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

tdpainter

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:04:51 am »
Thank you EIEIO  I've been using gimp for a month or so now, and I wanted to learn inkscape as well. I thank you both for your help on this question that I had and if there's something else that I should know for making my patterns  that would be great as well. I well be trying it out on my patterns for sure to see what works best for me for making them and also better for all the scrollsawers .

Thanks

TDPainter.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:59:57 pm »
The process I use in GIMP and Inkscape is attached below.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:04:54 pm by EIEIO »
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

tdpainter

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 01:08:32 pm »
Thank you I well read more on this later today.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:54:38 am »
Just in case anyone hasn't already found out, you can save to jpeg from Inkscape by using "File - Export..." and at the bottom of the window that opens, click "+ Select File Type (By Extension)" to open a menu and choose the format you want. You can also change the file name at the top of the box. Then click "Export"

Martin.

tdpainter

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:03:50 am »
Thanks Martin I didn't know that, but I well check it out later.

Travis.

SMF

Teknoromi