Author Topic: New member in upstate NY (for now)  (Read 964 times)

Offline TomsFretzwork

• View Profile
New member in upstate NY (for now)
« on: December 21, 2019, 09:12:34 pm »
Hi all,
Not big on typing and reading posts.  This is the first forum I've joined.  This may be the longest post you'll see from me, as I try to stay short, sweet and to the point.

We, my wife and I, currently live in Saratoga Springs, NY. with plans to move south next summer. We have family in the Charlotte area.

I grew up with wood working, as dad was carpenter and pattern-maker for US Steel.  He bought me my first lathe when I was 12.  Pittsburgh was not a great place for employment in the 70s so I joined the Navy and became a Nuclear Electrician, Supervisor and Instructor.  My last duty station before retirement was here in NY and we decided to settle until the kids all graduated from college.  Last one is next summer.  Then off to somewhere warmer.

I reconnected with woodworking in the 90s and enjoyed turning as member of Adirondack Woodturners Association. A little over 20 years ago we had a yard sale and a neighbor traded me a scroll saw for an air-conditioner he wanted. I was already doing more flat-board than rounding.
The public library had Easy to Make Inlay Wood Projects - Intarsia by JGR. I was hooked. Think I did most of the book then on to her Fine Line Design books.

Our area has a woodworkers showcase every year, usually the last weekend in March. About 20 years ago there was this vertically challenged woman stuck in the back corner by the elevator in a 6' by 10' area.  After about my 4th visit to her area, she asked "You have a scroll saw don't you?" I should have run then!  Under the pretense of a bathroom break she had me take over the demo and didn't come back for 3 hours.  Since that she has become my good friend and mentor Jeannie Audous, who seems to know everyone.

I am part of the Northeastern Woodworkers Association and run the Scroller Guild in the shop @ 97 Railroad Ave in Albany NY.  We share the shop with turners, carvers, crafters & hand tool SIG (special interest groups) https://woodworker.org/ .  We have 8 Dewalt scroll saws setup and an extensive library.  Typically we meet the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month and are there from 5:30 to 8:30 PM.  Those evenings people can work on their own projects or we can give ideas what to do next.  I am also there most Saturday mornings from 9 to 12 noon for the crafting guild. 
For basic scrolling, I teach from John A. Nelson's Scroll Saw Workbook through the first 5 exercises to start people off. Then we try to cater to the needs of the individual.  Monthly presentations for our group have included Painting with airbrush, Pyrography, Marquetry Flocking, Sanding, Finishes, Puzzle making, Resin casting, Whirligigs, ornaments, blades and compound cutting.  Mostly by members in NWA, with an occasional special guest.

I do a lot of stack cutting animals & fish for Double H Ranch https://www.doublehranch.org/ and still enjoy intarsia and fretwork.  Idle hands and all.

Into dun, future posts short and sweet
C-Ya
Tom

Offline GLC

• View Profile
Re: New member in upstate NY (for now)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 11:56:45 am »
Welcome Tom.  There are quite a few very resourceful and talented scrollers here, newbies and everything in between.  Regards  >> GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »
Hello Tom.

It looks like you have a lot of experience under your belt!  I'm looking forward to seeing some of your stuff when you post it.  (Even the wood turning!)

Karl
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:29:01 pm by KarlB »

Offline TomsFretzwork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 04:19:11 pm »
Thanks for the welcomes

SMF

Teknoromi