Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 2365 times)

Bill P

Facebook
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:05:38 pm »
I haven't done Facebook before.  Is it just a social website that wastes time, or can it be used to promote the hobby, perhaps the little business, of scrolling?

Bill

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:08:06 pm »
Bill I have a page on face book with my scrolling. I donm't get much business but it is a place to show off.  Lots of us are on there.
I'm from North Dakota

Bill P

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:26:51 pm »
Judy, how do I look you up so I can see an example?

Is it better to do that, or have a website?  I have www.8by10woodworking.com.  I'm averaging about 1 1/2 orders a month.

Bill

P.S. I hope my first question didn't offend anyone, it's just a lot of people at my day job are on Facebook and they seem to devote a lot of time to it.

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:09:28 pm »
Bill,
I'm in full agreement that all the myface type sites are an incredible waste of time.  I have a facebook page to keep in touch with my daughter, but I see so much ridiculous stuff posted there.  I can't believe there are so many people out there who don't have anything better to do.  They need to take up a constructive hobby -- like scrolling!!!!!! ;D

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 07:58:08 pm »
I am also a lil into facebook, but mostly just to read all the odds n ends that some of my family and friends yack about.  Some is really interesting and some is very important....BUT....to me Facebook is a big waste of time over-all.  I would rather be in my shop enjoying my hobby.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:23:48 pm »
You could use facebook to help with a business. I have one http://www.facebook.com/knwoodworking
Mostly I use it for showing off things I make. I have sold a couple of things because of it. My very first sale ever was because I posted a picture on Facebook of some jewelry I made. I don't work very hard at the business side of selling things, I find that if I have to make things it is less fun.

cherie

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:32:01 pm »
I started a Facebook only because when we were talking to our daughter and we had her kids, it was a way of communications.  I used to play the games on there, but they became a waste of time and would mess up my computer.  I have several albums of various things I do.  Not only do I do scroll work, (CE Woodworks album) but I am a free-lance photographer and take pictures of almost anything I think is interesting. 
I have also found many wood working friends of various kinds from scrolling to turning to carving.  I have found that many of us can open up more than we do on the forums and can have fun.  Just ask anyone who knows what I do on Facebook.  (i am not always bad.  lol)  But we ask questions among the wood working community and get many answers.  One of them is bound to be the right one.
Its your choice, as for selling products, I have started using the free version of Artfire.  I have made more sales this year using that site than I have using our own website.
This is just my two-cents. 

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:49:21 pm »
If you click on this it should take you right to my page.  I am not real knowledgeable about it but it isn't real difficult.  Yep there are a lot of people that are just time wasting.  But If there is no much babbling by anyone you can just hide them so you don't have to see it.   
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:50:29 pm »
Ooops here is the link
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Creative-Saw-Dust/116044741751330

Just copy and paste that in your address bar.  It should get you there.
I'm from North Dakota

Bill P

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:35 pm »
Judy,

Nice site, and beautiful work.

Bill

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:52:01 am »
yeah just no orders HA!! :-\
I'm from North Dakota

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:40 am »
I joined for the same reason, family and friends.  However, I have joined a group on there called elite scrollers.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 11:48:47 am »
I amon elite scrollers too but not sure what is does or is for??
I'm from North Dakota

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:15:22 pm »
Bit of a time waster but really it depends on what you use it for, I show some of my stuff on it so my family and friends can see what I am up to and also to talk to my cousins that are overseas, depends what you want out of life i suppose
Jimbo

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 08:29:49 pm »
I have daughters in Madison, Wi, St. Peters, Mo and Phoenix, Az plus cousins, friends and other relatives around the U.S. I play scrabble with many and keep up with some of them on a fairly regular basis all on FB-but hey I don't think any of them know there is such a thing as a U.S.postal service, it does serve a purpose of sorts
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

SMF

Teknoromi