Author Topic: Foot switch  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Foot switch
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:03:32 pm »
A few days ago Steve posted that he always uses a foot switch with the scroll saw, which I think a lot of us do.  However, he said we need to use the deadman type, instead of the other kind.  That kind stays on when you step on it, and only goes off when you step on it again.  It's nice to be able to put your foot flat on the floor and stay more balanced, especially when you are making a long cut, such as the outside  cut of a large, elaborate fretwork cross, which can take a long time to cut.

I know 5 other scrollers, and between the 6 of us, only 2 prefer the deadman.  We've all tried both type.  I don't have a problem with Steve saying that he likes one better than the other, but it seems a bit dictatorial to state that we "don't want the other kind".

Just my 2 cents, which may not even be worth that!
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline eburk

• View Profile
Re: Foot switch
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:32:23 pm »
I use a foot switch as well. I prefer the deadman style, as I don't have to search with my foot for the switch when I need to stop cutting, either because of my stupidity, or most often, a blade that has broken or slipped out of its blade holder.

This is my 2 cents worth, which also is no doubt, only as good as the paper it is printed on.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:58:33 am »
I also use the deadman type, perhaps on Steve's recommendation.  Never tried the other type and agree with eburk about searching for the switch when a blade breaks. 

Steve gives advice on scroll sawing, not rules.  To each his own but there is nothing wrong with considering other's opinion.  Remember, my free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:13:08 am »
I prefer to use the deadman switch when operating my scroll saw.  I prefer the "instant off" when I release my foot from the switch vs scrambling to turn it off when something goes awry, as happens on occasion.  It's a choice.  >>  GLC

Offline ALG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:55 am »
If you stand while scrolling the dead man one may be uncomfortable to use.

If you sit on a stool or chair when scrolling you can not beat a dead man switch.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:39:04 am »
Just to clarify, I never have to hunt for the footswitch to turn it off, 'cause unless it's a long cut, I just keep the heel on the floor, and the toes resting lightly on the switch, much as a pianist keeps the right foot on the damper pedal at all times.  Maybe so many years of playing piano is where I developed that habit.  The foot is in position, I just don't have to actually hold it down the whole time.

Also, I learned early on that it's a pain to have to chase the switch around, so it's screwed into the wooden floor of my shop.  When I do demos at wood shows, some 2 sided tape will also do the trick.

I wouldn't use my kind on the band saw, table saw, router, jointer or planer, but the scroll saw is about the safest tool I own.

I'm not knocking those who use the deadman, just thought it was strange that Steve would clearly state that "you don't want the other kind", when many of us use and prefer them.
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline rjweb66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 01:55:34 pm »
I use the dead mans switch because this way when I raise my foot off it, the scroll saw stops, RJ

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 08:51:17 pm »
I’m probably a Minority but I use the other type of switch and I topfeed not wrong or right just the way I do it

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:25 am »
It sounds like the primary issue is the tone of Steve's comment.  He sounded very absolute.

The of the drawbacks of email/texting/etc is the lack of subtext.  Steve may not have meant to sound like a god issuing an edict!   ;D

Of course, you can always challenge Steve at a show over the types of footswitch.  If it results in a fistfight, then you will know that his tone was intentional.....  :)
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:44:19 pm »
That is the nice part about this group....You have the right to be wrong.  ;D ;D ;D
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:32:16 pm »
I use a dead man switch and always have.  I've gotten use to it.

I can see your point regarding the on/off switch and it reminded me of have the high beam switch on the floor board of the car which I kept my foot on ready to turn it on or off depending on the conditions.

Karl

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 08:23:31 am »
I don't use a foot switch but think about once in a while. I would get a headache trying to decide what to use so maybe I'll just go and scroll.

I remember the floor dimmer switch and the ticket I got when I couldn't find it.

thanks for letting me follow your discussion

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 09:30:13 pm »
I bought a deadman swtith and used it once. I do all my work standing and it was too uncomfortable.  I can see the advantage if sitting but that is not an option for me due to lmited shop space. A one care garage doesnt cut it. Time for a bigger house

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 11:56:51 am »
I suspect the sitting vs standing position is at the root of the choice in switches.  I sit and use the deadman style footswitch.  The other type would be something of a bother to use. 

With all due respect to Steve, no one makes the "rules" for scrolling.  The great thing about this hobby is that there are many ways to accomplish just about any task.  I presume Steve would agree with that statement.  I feel quite confident that he never intended for his tone to come across as "dictatorial".  Please don't read too much into it.

Now, as for top feeding vs bottom feeding....... ;D
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 09:36:14 pm »
Doesn’t matter how you prefer the foot switch as if you didnt have one you would use the hand switch, the foot switch is a matter of convenience, I like it because both my hands are free

SMF

Teknoromi