Author Topic: drilling holes in pattern  (Read 6019 times)

PoppaRob

drilling holes in pattern
« on: September 04, 2012, 02:23:02 pm »
Just a thought/question,

If you have lots of holes or want to drill out most of the holes in a pattern, the removing/cutout parts of the pattern, would this be faster and safer for the pattern while being cut out,

Like say you have capital B's, use a drill bit large enough to remove the most material and in other places and then scroll saw it the rest of the way out, fine tun it, fine cut it or finish it,

Sorry today brain is working but not putting things together to well right now, I'll post again later on this, maybe some one can get what I am trying to say, 

Poppa Rob

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: drilling holes in pattern
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:33:55 pm »
The only time I do this is if I have perfectly round circles in the pattern. Then I will use a drill bit as close to the size of the circle. otherwise I use a drill bit large enough to get the blade in, and start cutting.
Dan In Southern California

PoppaRob

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
Dan,

Yes I see that posted alot in the how to do things, just don't understand why, there is a reason I guess, like if its a big pieces that your going to cut out that you can use someplace down the line, but to me it seems like it easier and faster to drill out as much as you can since your going to drill any way,

I understand that you have to be care full to not rip the pattern cut or mess up the area that your needing, that to me is the only reason I can see, so far, as one of the small grass hoppers still learning the masters ways and gaining from his incite, I pray the light will show me the way before I really screw something up, lol

Going back out to play in the 104.7 temp and 33% humidity @ 3:30 PM, taking a few beers this time, maybe the dogs will let me drink part of one,

Poppa Rob

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:23 pm »
Rob.

Regardless of the drill bit size you still have to cut the entire perimeter of the fret. I drill my holes as close  to the line as I can, this way I only have a very short way to cut to reach the line. Experience and the " necessary direction of the cut" will dictate a lot.  I also think with a large bit, the chance to make a fine piece of designer firewood is much greater.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

PoppaRob

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:14:18 pm »
Yep Billy, thanks for post,

that was my thought too as stated up there some place, right now don't need to do that, in a few weeks might need to do that to start a fire, lol

I ask a lot of question than some people don't understand why yet i do ask anyway, its like when i got my motorcycle back in 2000, after riding it about 6 months and 8K miles, I took it apart to see what i could do to it to fix it, gas mileage was like 47 MPG, got a few things for it and it, now or should say last time I rode it, it was 66 MPG and no governor to hold/slow me back/down, lol, thats on reg gas too, 87 oct,

I just seem to think to much about nothing sometimes, just me thinking out loud,

Poppa Rob,

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:35:20 am »
Small holes make small mistakes - easier to repair.  ;)
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

mlwmerk

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:48:42 am »
My two cents worth regarding drilling holes in patterns.

I use the smallest drill bit that will allow the saw blade to enter.  I also try to drill the hole closest to a peak to allow the blade to then follow the line so that I end up in the same place and that I have the entire waste section as one piece.   

A side benefit of this technique is that the resulting waste pieces have some really interesting shapes.  When I use good, solid wood (vs plywood) My daughter uses some of them to make ear rings.

Also I have glued some on a backer board and made an interesting shadow art piece.  The result is a very interesting texture.

Walt in CT

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 02:18:49 am »
I learned my lesson this past week. I made an ornament and saved the hole that goes in the loop at the top of the ornament for last. When I tried drilling it it broke that loop. I had to use my dremel to sand the loop off and I tied a ribbon around the top so the ornament can hang. I saved the project, but the original plan was a better design. So for now on I will drill every hole first and save none for last.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 02:15:23 pm »
When doing portraits I drill 20 - 30 holes at a time...STARTING in the most detailed area and gradually working toward the larger areas.
A lot less 'breath holding' that way for me!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:31:13 pm »
when cutting very fragile pieces I like to put the cutouts back in position and tape them in place with clear tape, this gives support when cutting out the rest of the pieces. Just my preference.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

SMF

Teknoromi