Author Topic: Skype  (Read 1594 times)

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
 Does anyone know about skype, is ot free, and how does it work, is it worth looking into. Thanks for any feedback  edward

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Skype
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:45:15 am »
Well I use it often with my lady friend, daughter and grand kids.
You need a relatively new and fast computer, a fast internet connection, and a webcam & microphone.
Most computers built in the last few years will do the job and especially laptops & notebooks.
I also have a KIndle Fire HD that I can skype from and it is very handy.
Video calls in the US, Canada & Mexico are free but international calls come at a price which is very reasonable.

If you are computer literate it is very easy to set up, however, be very careful and read all popup windows carefully before you click.

I am by no means an expert on Skype so download it, read everything carefully and try it out.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:31 am »
Thanks for the comback G B, guess that leaves me out, I only have a mic. I noticed that they want to add  some more tool bars, which I don't need, a couple askedme if I had skypes, and besides my computer isn't the fastest.  edward

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:06:06 pm »
Another is called "Oovoo" and it is free. You can use it without a webcam. You can choose an avatar,ex. a dog or cat. All you need is a microphone.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:13 pm »
Hi Edward. Another alternative is "Tango". As for no camera, our desktop was sans camera, but they can be added as a "plug & play" peripheral at a variety of price ranges. Clarity can be dependant on price of course, but  regardless of what you pay for a camera, from our experience clarity and reception also depends on internet connections and the capabilities of the computers sending and receiving.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 11:00:37 am »
I installed SKYPE last year and I LOVE USING IT.  Was easy to Download and Install.  The camera I bought at Walmart for lil over $10.00  And all is FREE.  Can't beat that for a way to \
SEE AND HEAR via the Internet.  Our family NOW stays is closer contact with each other.
Just my 13 cents...............Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi