Author Topic: Which Drill bits for inside cuts?  (Read 2454 times)

IBMer

Which Drill bits for inside cuts?
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:16:29 pm »
Hi, I'm finding that my standard set of drill bits have been found wanting when it comes to drilling holes for inside cuts.   My smallest bit actually cuts into the pattern lines.    I saw a set of tiny bits designed to fit a rotary tool such as a dremel.   I'm thinking of giving them a try.

Do you guys use any particular brand, or model drill bits to drill holes for your blades?  Do you use a full size drill or something smaller like a dremel tool?   Has anyone gone cross-eyed trying to feed their blades through the bottom of their lumber ;-)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Which Drill bits for inside cuts?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »
You can buy miniature bits from Mike's Workshop where you get the FD blades. You can also buy the miniature chuck that will attach to your drill press. I can buy locally at an old hardware store but have not seen any in Home Depot or Lowes.

Tony,aka,Toneman

king310

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57:26 pm »
you could use the numbered drill bit sizes. You can pick them up at several places, Menards, Fastenal, or order online. The number bits go all the way to 97 ( . ) would that hole be to small for you?

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »
Just another thought, if you look at the FD blade chart on Mikes' page, you will see the drill bit size recommended for the blade size.

countryscroller

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:21:03 pm »
To add on to the drill bits, I went to Harbor Freight and got some drill bits that are measured in mm because they are really small. I don't have a small chuck yet, but I plan on getting one and using the bits. They might be cheaper at HF than Mike's workshop. I don't know. Just a suggestion.

king310

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:44:34 pm »
Before you buy a minuture chuck for you bits you may want to see if your drill press will handle your small bits. Most newer drills will handle these small bits.

countryscroller

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:15 pm »
It doesn't they just slip right through.

SMF

Teknoromi