Author Topic: Steve's Personalized Christmas Name Ornaments. Holly Berry Question...  (Read 1306 times)

IBMer

Hello Everyone,

I ordered Steve's bell shaped Christmas ornaments and have started cutting them out or red oak.     I think that I'm going to enlarge the ones with names containing more than 5 or 6 characters to make the cutting a little easier.   I bought myself a set of Pin Files from Harbor Freight tools for under $4 and have been using these to get in between the letters and cleaning up the edges.   I've been using a #3 FD blade, but think I may try the #1 to cut out the names.

My question is regarding the "Berries"..     Are the rest of you cutting the round shape of the berries, or are you using some other method?  For example, is anyone burning the round berry shape into the wood?    I was thinking of using Colored stain to fill in the red berries, and green leaves.

Anyhow, I was curious who else was making these and if you had anything suggestions to share about the berries on the ornament.    

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:03:18 pm by IBMer »

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: Steve's Named Christmas Ornaments. Question about the Berries...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 03:37:43 am »
I haven't cut those myself, but I did cut a christmas bell that had holly and berries in it and I just cut around them using a FD UR #1 blade and it cut perfectly. see pic.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

rob roy

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:41:28 pm »
Beautiful cutting as usual Keefie. A lovely job. Thanks for showing.
Rob Roy.

IBMer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:45:02 pm »
I heard back from Steve last night.    He says:

Hi John, in scroll saw speak its called veining. It is done by cutting the line with the blade. I have cut several of ornaments without problems. I recommend using a number 3 blade. If the veining does not stand out enough try a number 5 blade.
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, wrote:
Steve,

So it looks like they are supposed to be cut.   I just wasn't clear if they berry shape was to be cut, drawn, or burned into the wood.   

Thanks Steve et al.

SMF

Teknoromi