Author Topic: hi  (Read 1234 times)

cnnx

hi
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:29:46 pm »
I'm new to wood working but I work in another trade in construction.  I want to build a certain wooden object and I decided to go with the scroll saw because its 3/4 inch pine and has cut outs inside the wood.  I was going to order the makita SJ401 from home depot, just want to run it by you guys before I purchase it, it will also need to be able to cut 1/8 or 1/4 inch plexiglass/acrylic.  I looked at proxxon but not familiar with the brand even if it looks good and they seem more expensive cause they are from germany I think.  Let me know your opinions, thanks.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:08:14 am »
I'm not familiar with the makita scroll saw so can't comment. I do have other makita tools and have no complaints with them. Plastic tends to melt back together when cut so you need to take a little care when cutting that, but others here can explain better how to cut plastic the I can.
  If this is a one time project you may just want to use a jig saw, the scroll saw can be addicting and one project leads to another and then you a buried in a pile of saw dust :)

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:33:34 am »
My information says the Makita has been discontinued with no replacement. In addition it doesn't have very good reviews. There is another scroll saw at Home Depot with much better reviews -the Ryobi 16". Also at Lowes is the Porter-Cable which has very good reviews. I would suggest you consider one of those.
Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 06:30:27 am »
I have used both the Ryobi and Porter Cable saw and Porter Cable wins - hands down.  I used to do demos with the Ryobi in the Home Depot.  My own saw is an EX21 and using the Ryobi was torture.  The Porter Cable is an excellent entry level saw.  Anyway, glad you've joined us and welcome aboard.

cnnx

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »
I have used both the Ryobi and Porter Cable saw and Porter Cable wins - hands down.  I used to do demos with the Ryobi in the Home Depot.  My own saw is an EX21 and using the Ryobi was torture.  The Porter Cable is an excellent entry level saw.  Anyway, glad you've joined us and welcome aboard.

Ok I can go with the porter cable.. since i live in canada I can order it online from lowest.ca https://www.lowes.ca/scroll-saws/porter-cable-pcb375ss-18-in-16-amp-variable-speed-scroll-saw_g1723907.html?SearchTerm=porter-cable-pcb375ss , this is the model that is avaialble to me, it will be able to cut 3/4 inch pine fine?

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 08:33:52 am »
It will absolutely do 3/4 pine easily.  You can go up to about 1 1/2 inches.  Invest in some flying Dutchman blades.  The blades that come with are awful.  Then it's just getting familiar with your machine and practice, practice, practice.

SMF

Teknoromi