Author Topic: DC mod idea - does it make sense?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
DC mod idea - does it make sense?
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:48:51 pm »
My dust collector http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DUST-COLLECTOR-1HP-570CFM-1-MIC-BAG-CSA.html has a 4" inlet. I'd like to put a Thein pre-separator in front of it.  Ideally I'd rotate the impeller so the inlet is down. This will let me directly connect the separator outlet to the DC inlet.

How big would I need to make the separator container to work with the 4" inlets and outlets? I guess I could scale up the top plate but I don't want to lift the impeller section any higher than necessary. What would the minimum height for the can, or the minimum height below the baffle?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:51:36 pm by jscott2 »
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: DC mod idea - does it make sense?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »
Hey J, Frankly, I think you are going about this the wrong way. I don't have the Thein separator, I have a home made separator. I used a 30 gallon fiber drum with a metal lid. The outlet in front of the impeller housing is 5". I used a section of 5" dust collection hose between the impeller and the drum using a 4" toilet flange. Then using a 4" spigot toilet flange for the 4" hose going to the tools. Here is a link showing my scroll saw dust collection system. Scroll down and you will see a picture of my dust collector with the separator:  http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=8625.0
I didn't have to do any modifications to the DC.
I use the DC for my table saw, jointer, planer, router table, scroll saw. drill press and all of my stationary sanders. The fiber drum collects about 95% of all debris. I empty the drum every couple of weeks, but only have to empty the bags on the DC about twice a year.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:03:18 am »
I made myself one using the following instructions on this website  http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm  (half way down page is link to a video showing it working) I made mine with a plastic dustbin (think you call them garbage bins) and standard 100mm (4") dust extractor connections and it works great, I empty the bin about once a week or more if I'm using the thickness planer but in a year I've only had to shake the fine dust out of the dust extractor bags once, and no debris in them at all. Hope this helps.

Keith
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:55:36 am »
dgman, your design would be great if I had more shop space. I was hoping to put the impeller above the drum to save floor space.  I also don't have much headroom above the DC so I was wondering what would be the minimum height for a separator?  Does your separator remove the fine dust from scroll sawing or does it pass through to the DC?

I should also check with Busy Bee to see if I could turn the impeller section by 90 degrees.  Maybe the bearings wouldn't take the different loading.

Keefie, that's what I was thinking of making.  Lately most of my dust/chips are from the scroll saw (very fine) or the planer (fairly large).  The scroll saw dust really plugs the DC bag.

Would a separator with 12" below the Thien separator plate be enough to collect chips and dust?  I would have to empty the separator regularly, especially with the planer working.

I'm trying to decide if a pre-separator is worth pursuing so I appreciate your comments.

Jim

Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »
Yes, it does collect the fine dust. On average, I only have to empty the bags once or twice a year, and when I do, there is only about six or seven inches of dust in the lower bag. The drum is only about 18" in diameter. It is mounted on a stand that is attached to the base of the collector, so it does not take up that much room.
One thing to consider is if the separate is to close to the impeller, it may not separate the dust into the drum. For what you are wanting to do, you may be better off buying a dedicated cyclone dust collector.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi