Author Topic: Looking at buying a saw and need some help  (Read 1318 times)

Offline dwayne23

• View Profile
Looking at buying a saw and need some help
« on: November 06, 2019, 07:14:13 pm »
I have heard that the DeWalt is a good saw is that true?  I know that woodcraft has them on sale at this time for 510 with a stand and light. 

Offline GLC

• View Profile
Re: Looking at buying a saw and need some help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:35:33 am »
I bought a Dewalt a couple of years ago and would say that they are a  good saw.  Way better than the low end priced saws and less than the higher priced saws.  My real disappointment with my Dewalt has been with the service at the Dewalt Service Center in Houston, Texas.  They work on a lot of Dewalt tools there, but I would bet dollars to donuts no one there is trained to service the Dewalt Scrollsaw.  There are a lot of moving parts in a scroll saw and things will eventually deteriorate / fail. It's a great past time - enjoy your scrolling.  Regards, GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 11:35:24 am »
Hi Dwayne
     I started with a craftsman which required steel pilings embedded forty feet in the ground to control vibration. Never used anything else so I thought it was great?
     Then I went to a combination:  Two saws: The Dewalt 788 and the Delta 40-694
      They were near identical but I ended up selling the Dewalt because it seemed more like a tank. It cut well: Little vibration about the same as the Delta. I just liked the Delta more.  Neither had dust collection ability and neither had tilting arms.  Only decks [something which is only subject to the users liking]  But a tilting arm model sometimes allows less angle cut on one side?  The decks do not have that problem on many saws.  Still, I like the arm tilt best so I went to an Excalibur:   
     Initially  the Excalibur was a problem.  Very smooth. refined.   controlled with little vibration. Then I had parts problems after a few months.  Took several months to get parts but now it is back online and it is nice. [My part troubles are listed in my posts in the newbee section]
    Truly between the Dewalt and the Delta I would go to Delta every time if it is the one I mentioned above.  And it is a little lower priced.   If you have the funds though and I will soon, I would go to the Seyco, or Pegas.  And if you really want to get serious go to the Jet 22.
     Funds for me are important. I love that Jet blade change, but the Pegas also looks very nice along with the seyco.  So I have the dilemma of choosing between those three.  currently I am using both my Excalibur and my Delta.  I do intend to sell the Excalibur soon.  It is an ex-16 and I need a larger table, not because of the quality.
      So to choose:  If money is no object the Jet.  If it is downward it is the Seyco/orPegas.  Then the Delta and then the Dewalt [only because Dewalt tends to have more mechanical problems in the future I have heard]   
      Either dewalt or Delta would be a good choice for a beginner.  in fact, either would do you vert well.   I can only speak from my experience over time.   My Excalibur helped me win 1st place at the Illinois state fair this year and my Delta backed me up on that win.  Very intricate fret work and lines.   Both saws preformed well. I just like the tilting head on the Excalibur.  But I would not recommend Excalibur at all due to the difficulty of obtaining parts.  This is all experience not conjecture.  Others may have had troubles with Delta I have not had. And may have never had trouble with Excalibur at all. We all have our preferences.  Happy Scrolling

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 07:32:57 am »
Buy the best you can afford.  I had and old craftsman and then I got an EX-21 and it was like night and day.  I have had my EX over 9 years and only replaced the blade holder because I stripped the thread.  No problem in getting that.

I use my saw everyday for about 4 hours and cuts every kind of wood.

Our club have Dewalt's and they are fine.  Cuts well but I don't like the fact that the arm doesn't stay up and the table tilts versus the head.  Most our members have Dewalt's and love them.  If you are not going to do bowls and you can get over the arm not staying up (or get a 3rd party addon).  Dewalt would be a okay.

I have heard the new Excalibur are not the same as the old ones and parts are hard to come by.  The Excelsior line sold by King is the same and they are a fine company.

SMF

Teknoromi