Author Topic: Old Newbie  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
Old Newbie
« on: January 03, 2016, 08:14:48 am »
Santa delivered a scroll saw, the work I have seen has always fascinated me, so I guess he (she) read my mind.  I'm third generation retired Military, 1969-1989, and stubborn as hell, I work at it until I get it.  And as a warning, I am not adverse to showing my ignorance and asking questions, questions that will usually be common sense to most of ya.

My name is Jim and I am in the hill country of Texas.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
Re: Old Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:44:40 am »
Welcome aboard there is always some one to answer your questions , only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:35:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum Jim. You have come to the right place to get your questions answered.

Incidentally, everyone started at the beginning and learnt from their mistakes or from experienced scrollers. There is no such thing as dumb question when you are just starting out, I know because I am only 2 steps in front of you.

Ask away Jim.

Dave
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 06:27:14 am »
Hi Jim and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie and I live near the hill country - in Thrall.  There isn't a mistake that hasn't been made by someone here.  They are quite common.  No one here will ever make you feel stupid for asking.  Stubborn is a good thing.  When I started years ago, there were very few resources to find answers to what I was doing wrong.  If it wasn't for being stubborn, I would have given up.  We are glad you are here and thank you for your service.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:37:08 am »
Welcome Jim.  I'm with Julie as when I started back in pre-historic era, there was very little information available and no internet.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:59 am »
Thanks to all for replying, I appreciate the encouraging words.

@ Julie, dang I thought I lived in a small town, I am in Kerrville

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 05:44:29 am »
Yep, we are 6 streets by 6 streets.  I love it here.  Know Kerrville well, though.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:25:21 am »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. Love the hill country! Almost moved to Llano two years ago, but decided to stay here in NE Texas close to kids and grandkids.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 05:55:31 am »
Thanks Tony, kind of funny, I was riding back from Kentucky and was heading for Wichita Falls to see a friend before heading south and home, so I took 82, Laughed at the thought of going through Detroit, and then Paris

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:41 pm »
Ha! Yep, visitors here want to see Eiffel Tower in Paris! We do have a nice replica at the veteran's memorial. I make scroll saw items of Paris, Texas with the Eiffel Tower (desk items, refrigerator magnets, tree ornaments, etc.) Cannot keep in stock, sell at craft shows and in local stores.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 12:46:16 pm »
Hello from North Dakota. Have fun!! ;D
I'm from North Dakota

trka2002

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 12:01:07 pm »
Hello Jim, welcome to the site.  I had just over ten years in before I got disabled.  Just wonder when all you have been.  I've been to Ft Carson, Korea, Ft Stewart, and Ft Hood.  Don't really know how far Ft Hood is from you, most of my time there was spent over seas.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 05:28:35 am »
Trka

I was an Army brat and Dad's job caused us to move much more than normal, in my first 15 years I lived stateside for 5 of them, time spent all over Europe and Asia.

In the states, I was at Ft Lewis, Ft Hood, Ft Bliss, Nellis AFB TDY, Wright AFB TDY, and some others.  Spent time across both ponds, with most of it in Europe and the Mid-East.  14 out of 20 spent overseas.  Ft Hood is about 2.5 hours from me now.

Take care of yourself, It wasn't all fun, but after the mud, the blood, and the beer - civilian life is a party.

Jim

SMF

Teknoromi