Author Topic: ShopSmith Scroll Saw or Craftsman Contractor Serier?  (Read 2511 times)

chris2009

ShopSmith Scroll Saw or Craftsman Contractor Serier?
« on: December 19, 2015, 03:08:17 pm »
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/5364192695.html

https://offerupnow.com/item/detail/2089994/craftsman-20-contractor-series-scroll-saw

I have been using a Craftsman saw that I got used for 15$ and it is time to upgrade.  Right now I am using it to make name plates and I have about 15 orders to make.  In my local area there is a ShopSmith that he is willing to take $220 for and there is the Craftsman Contractor Series for around $100.  I can't find many reviews on the ShopSmith but it looks very heavy duty.  The reviews for the Craftsman seem decent. 

In the future I will do other projects besides that name plates and when my kids get older I want to teach them to use it.

What do you guys suggest?

Thank you,

Chris

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: ShopSmith Scroll Saw or Craftsman Contractor Serier?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 06:00:06 pm »
Now you've opened up another can of worms!
There are so many option's on what the best saw is, and they all are wrong.
I've never seen or even heard of a Shop Smith scroll saw so I have no opinion on that. It must be fairly old because I'm not even sure that they still make many tools anymore. And a Crapsman is considered a fairly good entry level saw but, there are others in the same "new" price range.
The best saw you can buy is the one YOU like in your price range.
New scroll saws vary in price from just under $200.00 to $2,000.00 as you know, and they all have good and bad features and they all have problems from time to time.
Just remember, you usually get what you pay for and buying someone else's problems is NEVER cheap. If you know the previous owner and trust what he tells you, it might be a good buy but, if it is advertised on line it is a case of "Byer Beware".

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:45:43 pm »
I'm with Roger. Don't jump in before ya test the water, so to speak. I try to make it a habit NOT to buy a tool of any sort unless I can get my hands on it, listen to it, use it a little bit. Just my way of thinking. Do a little research on the tool, & see if parts are available. Be careful.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 12:40:26 am »
Hi Chris....
I'm with Rog and sawdust703 on this one. I have a friend who always tries to get out cheaply when buying machinery and power tools. He has been stung a few times when the item he has bought doesn't work as well as expected, or parts are not available any more. I have encouraged him to buy new and get a warranty with the machine, something you don't get with secondhand stuff. He is starting to come across to my way of thinking.

As Rog says, if you know the previous owner and can get some surety on the quality, then go with it.

Dave
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 08:30:57 am »
Used tools are like used cars if you can  repair them when something breaks they are a good deal if not save you money and buy new.
Since you are in the business of selling your items you defiantly need a reliable saw.

rochar3

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 12:03:15 pm »
I had a ShopSmith scroll saw and it was a decent saw. Then the belt broke and I practically had to dismantle saw to replace. Several hours of work. Just doesn't make sense for something to be so difficult. I sold it through Craigs list and bought a slightly used Hawk 24. Hawk is great saw with good customer service and prompt shipping when you need a part. IMHO Stay away from ShopSmith.
Hope this helps
Bob

SMF

Teknoromi