Author Topic: Drill Bits  (Read 2658 times)

saggioculo

Drill Bits
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:53:23 pm »
Can someone recommend a good place (online) to buy tiny drill bits?  Local hardware doesn't seem to carry the real small ones I need.  I was told at Lowe's that I have to find a place that sells "micro" bits.  I'm hoping to find bits smaller then 1/16.  I've looked online, but most places have 1/16 and bigger.  Other places use letters for the sizes and I simply don't understand that kind of sizing. 
Any suggestions? 
Thanks so much!
Anne

Offline xuryl

• Hello from Ridgefield, Washington
    • View Profile
Re: Drill Bits
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:01:18 am »
Mike at mikesworkshop.com will have all of the numbered drill bits you will need for entry holes. Of course he also has Fd blades. Visit is web site for more information.
Wayne

saggioculo

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:08:01 am »
Thank you!  I didn't know he sold bits as well.  Need some new blades any too.  Thanks again!

king310

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:55:09 am »
Menards sells the smaller bits.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:49:55 am »
Yep, Mikes got them.  Get yourself a minichuck to go with them.  He's got those too!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:07:34 am »
You might try for what are called "jobber length bits" (longer) if you are doing any bowl work. The tiny bits are often too short to drill through a 3/4" thick board at an angle.

Dremel sells drill bit sets that go down to 1/32". I use those for pilot holes when I use the 2/0 blades on 1/4" or 1/8" wood. You can get those at Lowes and Menards. http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tool-accessories/rotary-tool-accessories/dremel-7-piece-drill-bit-set/p-1476422-c-10099.htm

If you go to a welding shop you can get small diameter steel welding rod that can be cut to a length that is plenty to get through a board, and it will drill through softer woods. I used those to get through a 2x4 at an angle to make some small bowls.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

IBMer

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »
Anne,    Mike who sells Flying Dutchman blades also sells small drill bits.    If you have a Harbor Freight nearby and need some today, they carry a set of small bits.   It's Item #93076 1/16" and they are on sale now for .99 cents for 7 bits.    I tried their microbits as well, but wouldn't recommend them.  Mine all broke the first time I used them, besides most of the bits that came in the kit were actually too small to feed a scroll saw blade through.

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:19:13 pm »
You might try MicroMark.com.  They carry a variety of small drill bits small tools for working with models

saggioculo

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 10:08:13 pm »
I don't think I have any plans on cutting anything thicker then 1/2 inch.  Although...I might have a project where I'll need smaller bits for 3/4 inch oak.  Would be nice to have the right bit handy if and when I get around to that project.

hippi

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:59 am »
i got some from ace hardware they were about $2.6 and got a mini chuck from woodcraft :) :D ;D 8)

SMF

Teknoromi