Author Topic: adjusting a dewalt 788  (Read 9053 times)

losfound

adjusting a dewalt 788
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:47 pm »
I have a Dewalt 788 and my question is can the nut be tightened that holds up the arm to keep it up when changing blades or will that cause damage the unit if it is tightened? 

Thanks

Larry

Offline Ablade

• View Profile
Re: adjusting a dewalt 788
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:48:11 pm »
Larry, yes, yes, yes, you can adjust that bolt so that the arm with stay up by itself.  Please don't waste your money on after market rigs.  I had one, but sold it when I learned I could adjust the bolt.  I was told how to do this by a DeWalt shop tech so that is good enough for me.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:09:16 am »
I used to have a Jim Dandy on my saw, but took it off when I relized it was actually slowing me down. I feed from the top, so it is easier for me to lift the arm with one hand and feed the blade from the top  with the other hand. Then I let the weight of the upper arm to drop the blade through the hole.
When cutting a project with hundreds of inside cuts, it takes to much time to have to pull the upper arm down.
Dan In Southern California

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:20:14 am »
Hey ablade, I learned something here tonight. I was unaware you could tighten the bolt. I'm comfortable with the Jim Dandy ez lift but I do want to test this so I know to recommend it or not. Thanks for the info.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:51:12 am »
I was told by a Dewalt tech that tightening the bolt was not the correct thing to do as it will cause undue wear on the bolt and can cause the manufacturers warranty to be negated.  He actually suggested using a bungee cord attached above the saw or a Jim dandy ez lift.  I got the ez lift and love it.  I used to use a block of wood to hold up the arm.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Marshall

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:30 am »
I hate to say this > but I'm still using the old block of wood . Maybe someday when my wish list gets smaller I'll ask for the ez-lift ............Marshalll

oily

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:08:55 am »
I use the old 31/2" block. The only time I want the arm held up is for a blade change. When not in use I take the tension off the blade and leave the arm in the down position in  case my big flat feet hit the pedal when I'm stompin' around the shop

woodcrafter tom

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:59:12 am »
I teach scrolling at the Woocraft store in Harrisburg and was  told by the Dewalt Tech that adjusting the nut will not hurt anything. I have been doingthis adjustment for two years and have not experienced any problems.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 11:29:58 am »
I also have the DeWalt. I have a shelf bracket above the saw with a bungee cord attached to the saw so that it goes up and down very easily, but it will stay up so I can change the blade. If you are interested I will post a picture of this setup

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 11:35:15 am »
I teach scrolling at the Woocraft store in Harrisburg and was  told by the Dewalt Tech that adjusting the nut will not hurt anything. I have been doing this adjustment for two years and have not experienced any problems.

That is good too know.  Thanks for passing that along.  I guess it depends on which rep you ask.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

telecomdude

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 11:35:47 am »
Could someone elaborate on which bolt you are referring to on the Dewalt? I'm currently using the bunjee cord method...

losfound

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:28:51 pm »
I have a Dewalt 788 and my question is can the nut be tightened that holds up the arm to keep it up when changing blades or will that cause damage the unit if it is tightened? 

Thanks

Larry
thanks for all the input it's great and thank you Steve for this forum.

Larry

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 09:27:33 pm »
Here's my two cents, worth just what it costs you.

I also have a 788 and love it.  I use the EZ Lift and like it.  You definitly need something, it is too awkward to hold the saw up with one hand and feed with the other.  As far as tightening the bolt.  Anything mechanical that you tighten to hold a weight is going to increase wear and wear it out quicker.  I say go with something that takes the weight off (block,bungee or EZ lift) and keep scrolling!

Barry

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:09:55 pm »
As much as I like the DW788 it does make you wonder why they engineered the saw this way. They paid so much attention to details I wonder how they overlooked this need. It's been good for Jim Dandy I guess.

Becky

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:57 am »
I would also like to know which bolt that is.  There are a lot of them back there - or so it seems to me.  How do I know which one to tighten?  A picture pointing out the correct bolt would definitely make me feel warm and fuzzy.   :)  I guess a description would do in a pinch.  Thanks.

SMF

Teknoromi