Author Topic: Best Band saw  (Read 5784 times)

ksaws

Re: Best Band saw
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:53 pm »
I have a porter cable 14'' and I like it so far,not got into resawing yet so I cant tell you anything about that, I can tell you with the directions that came with the saw it was easy to set up and I have got a one eighth blade on it right now that I have cut some ash and oak with and it done real good, I will have to see how it does in thick stuff might have to go back to the quarter inch blade for that...the saw is sold at Lowes and it was 450.00

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 10:33:17 am »
ksaws,
   I have been looking at that saw at Lowes. Would like to buy from a local store so if I have any problems I can take it back. With that said, we have Sears, Lowes and Home Depot.

Malistar22

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »
I got a dumb question, but what does the size (10", 12", 14") mean? Is that the distance between the blade and the arm? So the max cut you could do on a 10" saw is a 10" board without the saw itself getting in the way?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 12:54:13 pm »
Yes it means the size of the throat from the blade to back of the arm just like the scroll saw a 10 inch band saw can cut wood that is 10 in wide or deep.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »
I was in Sears today and got a floor model of their 14" Bandsaw for $292. Seems like a good buy. I hope it's a decent tool. Looks like up to 8" resaw.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 11:17:31 pm »
I found this site on reviews on saws. It may help others looking to buy.
http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-bandsaw.pdf

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:37 pm »
I read that band saw blow down, the jet model is nice but at a price, I have a bandsaw on my wish list now. Only thing it will being doing is resawing, if I can get one that will at least resaw 8 inch I can live with that but would like it to about 9 so when I resaw it will be about as wide as a piece of paper, was looking at the craftsman bansaw they have a nice 14 inch for 404, but do have a small units for half the cost, also what saw's can take a riser block? I was looking at the HF band saw alot said it was simaliar to grizzly saw but it was very hard to get parts for but its price of 359 is just under the craftsman, so may as well go with the craftsman, if I can pull it up going for a jet I like it but can you get riser blocks for a jet if it can take one, or wonder if can make one.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 09:05:13 am »
I have a riser on my Jet 14".  I wouldn't personally consider making one.  Too much strain.  This is a good opportunity to use Craigslist and find a good used saw.  You can get a better saw for less money if you are a little patient.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 10:29:12 am »
Yes I can wait, for a good deal, my thinking is if the saw has a resaw of say 6 inches, a board I want to resaw is 12x10, paper is 8.5x11, if want to resaw that board to fit the paper it want it to resaw to at 9 or 10 so its 8.5 wide, lenght won't matter as I can cut to lenght, why I asking about riser block, if that makes sense, most my patterns I print or cut are about the size of piece of paper.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 01:47:42 am »
If that is your intended use, you will also need to have a planer.  I wouldn't expect resawing to give you an acceptable finish or an even enough thickness to go it alone.  You will also need a dust collector.  Resawing something that wide will create tons of sawdust.  Generally when I resaw, the wood goes from my bandsaw to my planer to my drum (thickness) sander.  Then it is ready to work with.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 11:19:30 am »
Yea I counted on having to get a planer as well, but didn't think it would take this much to get BS going or have one, do you need a drum sander or would having a belt sander work the same? Maybe should hold off till I got more room in my little garage to have all this stuff.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 06:58:42 pm »
A drum sander is not a necessity, but a very nice luxury.  I personally rarely use a belt sander for anything other than shaping wood.  It's too aggressive for me.  I prefer the results of a good Random Orbital Sander.  I do often use a stationary belt sander, but not connected with resawing.  If you have a lunchbox planer like a dewalt or delta you will be fine.  The drum sander just gives you a convenient and quick way to get a uniform surface with no knife marks.  There are also many plans for building your own on sites like Lumberjocks.com.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:05 pm »
HF has a nice 12 inch planer lowes has a nice one as well, but think they are about 200 bucks or more, another tool I would love to add to my woodworking collection but will have to wait.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 12:20:15 am »
I have a powermatic 15" floor planer which I love, but the Dewalt seems to be the lunchbox model most sought after.  (there are 2 models.  The more expensive is the one everyone talks about.)  You can also buy carbide tiped planer blades for them now, or Byrd Shellix Heads.

ChuckD

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »
I got a 12 inch Ridgit planner that had been used once for about ten minutes for a $100 off Craigs list.  Don't feel guilty at all.  After resawing it does make the wood almost usable, but a little sanding puts it there.

SMF

Teknoromi