Author Topic: Asked to teach  (Read 1769 times)

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Asked to teach
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:31 pm »
A friend of mine has asked if I could show his granddaughter how to scrollsaw.Need a little help on a good easy pattern for her to cut and finish in a few hours.She is 10 y/o and she loves doing craft items and helping with jobs around the house.Very good girl !!! If she likes scrollsawing and does good granddad sid he would buy her a starter saw.So it's up to me to get her on the right track.So please a little help,I've never taught to a kid before.

Shogun

Re: Asked to teach
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:28:02 pm »
Here are a couple she might try.

Offline dottyblues

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:31:45 pm »
how about some simple puzzles?  There's tons out on the web.

Here's one.. http://fssp-arpop.blogspot.com/search/label/Scroll%20Saw%20Puzzles

just Josh

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:12:44 am »
here is  pic of my son with his first scroll saw project.  I started him out by having him cut along various straight, curved and zig zag lines on scrap pieces of wood.  then I drew his name and said, Go For It.

He did a great job as far as I am concerned.  And once he had it done, He had me draw out his sisters name so he could do a piece for her too.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:43:30 am »
Just have her do her name or her grand fathers at first.  It will be pretty easy but she will have an immediate sense of accomplishment.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

king310

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:14:16 pm »
I wish I was that good! :( :(

Good for him, he is on his way to make you alot of money. Setup at a craft show with him scrolling you will sell all of his stuff and yours.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:29:00 pm »
I would let her look at the patterns from this site. Have her pick out something simple enough but interesting to her. Help guide her in her choice, but there are plenty of simple patterns to pick from.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:48:27 am »
Thanks for all the help,I just hope I can get her off on the right track.I think the name thing is a good idea.

ShadowB6

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:23:32 am »
My granddaughter who is now 12, was 10 when she first got on the scroll saw. I gave her several easy animal patterns to choose from and she selected a fish. It still hangs on the wall of her bedroom, plus many other projects since then. This past weekend, she spent in the workshop working on plaques for her hockey teammates  for their year end banquet. Here's a picture of her working on one of her many projects. My son has promised to set aside an area for her when I buy her a saw.

Mike

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:36:38 am »
Shadow B6, Thanks for the post and picture.I've been tell her that alot of women and young girls scroll saw.And from the looks of thier work-they are better then the men.If the kids are in the shop then they are off the street,Thanks and God Bless everyone that has helped a young person get a start in this great hoppy.I can't wait to get my granddaughter at a saw,she is 4y/o now.Poeple from all over the world will come just to see her cut.===I may be getting a little ahead of my self.

ShadowB6

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 12:55:17 am »
I agree with your statement Mickey357. On the saw keeps em off the streets. My granddaughter has actually gotten very good on the saw. Her latest project of hockey plaques for her teammates has been a joint effort between the two of us right from the design stage. She's presently about 40% done of the actual cutting. I did all the measuring and sanding so far. The time that my granddaughter and I have spent in the shop has been priceless and something I can't put into words. Strange how things go as my 15 year old grandson has shown 0% interest in my shop. Karissa is the ultra feminine 12 year old pre teen girl but her interest in my shop has surpassed all of our expectations.

Good luck Mickey with your friends granddaughter. Please keep us posted to her progress. I'll post pictures of our plaques when done. Our banquet is the last weekend in March.

Mike 

SMF

Teknoromi