Author Topic: Food color ???  (Read 2235 times)

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Food color ???
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:37:58 pm »
I have read here about using food color to die wood!!!How do you use it,is it the same thing they mix for cake color.And how is it mixed,with water ?? I don't want to sound dum,but I would like to try it on puzzles--seems like it would be safe for kids.Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Food color ???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:09:58 pm »
I tried mixing it (food coloring) with water and alcohol.  The water mixture raised the grain on the wood which required extra sanding.  The alcohol method did not raise the grain as much and did not require me to go back and re sand and evaporated quickly.

The con is that both methods unless sealed with a clear sealer (spray lacquer or shellac) would allow the coloring to come off on my hands when handled and i had one parent contact me and tell me that her daughter had a purple mouth as the coloring came off when she had a piece stuffed between her lips. 

I no longer use food coloring...I prefer acrylic paints..however i have just gotten some dyes from a newer company  http://kedadyeinc.com/  Waiting for it to get a little warmer here in Montana to give these a try.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

IBMer

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:56:06 pm »
Yes..   Off the shelf food color works just fine.   I usually put 10 drops of food color and add 4 or 5 drops of water.   It goes a long way.   Be sure to wear gloves unless you don't mind your fingers being colored for a week.   I understand that the GEL style food color works as well.

Now, the key is to wet your project with water first.   This will cause the grain to stand up.  Sand it back down with a 400 grit paper.   Then apply your food color stain.   Grain will only rise once when wet, so by wetting and sanding before you apply the stain, you will not end up with grain texture. 

Oh, and I'd let your project dry for a good 24 hours before you apply a final finish like Lacquer or Poly.    Otherwise the colors may run into your applicator and end up where you don't want it.   Like wood stain, you can apply multiple coats to make your colors darker or stand better.

If you plan to use a lot of food color, you might want to consider buying it in bulk from a Cake supply store.  But the standard grocery store pack should last you a long time.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:03 pm »
Thanks for the help.I think I'll give it a try.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:59:50 pm »
I have used the coloring intended to be mixed with cake frosting and it worked very well.  I also mixed in alcohol to avoid raising grain.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

IBMer

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:08:41 pm »
@ Billthediver..   Sounds like a recipe for a mixed drink.   Food coloring and alcohol, ice?   Did the Alcohol work to keep the grain down?

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:26 pm »
Yes.  Water as a solvent raises the grain, but denatured alcohol does not.  Note that the coloring I used is intended for use in Cake Frosting rather than regular food coloring.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 05:15:07 am »
I have just read this old post and I would like to know, do you have to let your work dry after it has been wet before you dip it in the food coloring??

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:01:26 am »
Also...Watch what kind of WOOD you are coloring!

Pine, Aspen & Poplar will get really blotchy!!!

I tried red & green on some of these woods for Christmas 2 yrs. ago and really hated the look!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi