Author Topic: what should i use for heat?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline gramps

• View Profile
what should i use for heat?
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:49:07 am »
we live in wisconsin in a drafty old farmhouse. since the kids are mostly all moved out , i made a little shop for myself in one of the upstairs bedrooms. there are only 2 heat vents for 4 bedrooms up there. the shop doesn't get one of course. i have a buddy heater that i use for ice fishing, but i figure that's just a space heater run on propane. a space heater just doesn't seem safe with sawdust floating around.        thanks in advance for any suggestions, fred

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: what should i use for heat?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:04:23 am »
Does the "shop" have electricity? There are hundreds of electric heaters of all types and most have thermostats these days so they are safe for most places.
Prices vary across the board from $30.00 to $500.00 so surely you can find something in your price range.
Usually the box will tell you how many square feet the heater was designed to heat.
Some have exposed heating elements and some use heated oil to radiate the heat.
Try a home center like Lowe's to get an idea of what works for you.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

mlwmerk

Re: what should i use for heat?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:45:39 am »
Good advice.  I too use an electric radiator type heater in my basement workshop.  It does not have an open heating element but heats the oil filled radiator.  It has a thermostat so I am able to turn it way down when I am not in the shop.

However, they tend to draw a lot of electricity and when it is running and I turn on the table saw or shop vac, or any other device that draws a lot of current, it pops the circuit breaker. 

Soo, I have to turn off the heater while I use any other power tool.  Not a big deal but it requires a little prior planning.

Walt in CT

SMF

Teknoromi