Author Topic: Polymer clay inlay.  (Read 9039 times)

Marshall

Re: Polymer clay inlay.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 09:52:57 am »
Steve I have a question where do you get your clay polymer material at , this is such a pretty job > I think I want to try it later ....a great must do for presents .......Marshall

Brian Flynn

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 10:05:09 am »
In general, how long do you bake the clay?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 10:19:38 am »
Marshall, I'm not sure where Steve gets it but it is at theclaystore.com and on sale (32% off)
Brian, 265 degrees for aprox. 30 min. Bake times may vary if the project is small quoting Steve. Watch it to keep from burning.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Marshall

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 10:37:02 am »
Thanks Russ ........

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 11:35:16 am »
Hi Brian, there are instructions on every pack of clay. If I remember correctly the FIMO brand and the Skulpey brand have different bake temps. One thing I forgot to mention is that you need to knead the clay by rolling it in your hands until it is pliable.

Becky

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 10:36:53 pm »
I bought some of the Fimo at Michaels and tried it today on one of Steve's Oval keychain fobs.  It's drying from its lemon oil bath so I haven't put any spray on it yet.  As best as I can tell, it worked fine.

The only thing I'd mention is that the clay dust when you sand gets all over the lighter wood.  Eventually I just bit the bullet and used a damp paper towel on it, not knowing if it would make it better or worse.  Fortunately, it made it better.

That might be normal with all the inlay materials.  Today was just the first time I've tried anything remotely like this.

If there's a better solution than the damp paper towel, someone please let me know.  I've got the vast majority of this stuff left.  I used less than 1/16th of it for the fob and I made sure to really overfill.

SMF

Teknoromi