Author Topic: need help  (Read 1569 times)

thumbs

need help
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:13:58 pm »
This may sound silly but I have to make a new letter sign for the small church my wife and I go to. the old one is shot. It was black with push in letter of white. We can't afford much and the Lord provided me with the talent of scroll cutting,, So I will be making a new sign. Here's the problem, should it be black with white letters or white with black letters. I know in the grand scheme of things this is a minor problem. I can't make up my mind as to which way to go  Who would have thought this would be so perplexing-- thanks for any input---Richard

UHMNL

Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:32:40 pm »
I would go with: white with black letters.
FD Mike

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:40:28 pm »
I would choose white with black letters; easier to read.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Kragax

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:19:55 pm »
I also think white with black letters, at least with my old eyes.

Rover2

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:44:10 pm »
I agree with black lettering.  Much easier to see.  Al

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:26:19 pm »
These are some signs that I made for our son's church (he lives in another town) a few years ago.
I'm guessing about six years ago actually.

I cut the letters out of a piece of 1/4" ply and finished it with polyurethane and  used another piece of 1/4" ply painted black for the backer. I covered both sides of the sanwitch with 1/16" Plexiglas and sealed it up in the frame with clear silicone  as best as I could. The frame was made with cedar lumber and finished with Minwax spar urethane.
IT DIDN'T WORK!  :o....Well actually, they are still sanding and legible but, the weather in Kansas has really gotten to them. There is mold inside the Plexiglas and of course  the finish on the frame has deteriorated over the years.
I tell you this just as a warning, DON"T GET TOO FANCY if they are going to be outside in the weather,especially if you have large swings between summer and winter like Kansas does.  ;)   

KISS.....Keep It Simple Stupid.  ;)...So they can be touched up and refinished as time goes on. I have offered to redo these two signs but, no one at the church wants to dig them up out of the ground so that I could bring them home and do some maintenance on them.  ::)

I hope this will give you some ideas and help a little.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

thumbs

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:45:50 am »
thanks, everyone--it's white with black letters--now I just have to get too it---Richard

SMF

Teknoromi