Author Topic: straight edges, clean surfaces - let's get on planers  (Read 2567 times)

tux_linux

straight edges, clean surfaces - let's get on planers
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:21:39 pm »
Hey!

I used my planer today and thought it would be a good idea to introduce that fine tool here.

I know most of us do not have a big electric planer to prepare their wood. Also is a band sander/table sander not the first tool one buys.
I for my part like to use my hand planer. It's a fine tool with which I can achieve slick surfaces and straight edges. Also is it a quite tool, which is important when I'm in the shop on Sundays or in the evening.

My most used planer is a Rali 220 Evo:

It's build up like a compact classic universal planer which one would also expect to see at construction sides. It's build really heavy to be handled easier. But it's more than just that.
This planer doesn't have the classic blade. It's got changeable blades, which is easier to use and doesn't require any sharpening. The ones who have tried sharpening a planer blade will know that it is a difficult thing and much easier to sharpen it sloppy than to get a square sharp blade.
Also does it have a lever for the blade, which makes it easy to adjust it. The blade is always perfectly set, no matter how much the planer is set to shave away.

The blade is hold by a simple mechanism. The blade adjustment is made with the little red lever, with which I can adjust it from bold shavings to the most light shaving. And that is really useful!

So when I need a really straight edge, I simply cut outside of the line. Afterwards I clamp that board and run the planer on a really light adjustment above. I can see when I touch the line and get a slick, absolute straight edge.

When I buy rough cut boards or just some simple lumber from the home store, I also clamp it and run my planer across the wood. I get a slick surface, bumps and marks are off - even price labels can be planed off really easy!

This planer is swiss made and one of the more advanced versions, costs in Europe 92 Euro(~117$) and seems to be sold in the US from 139$. There are blue and orange versions - I guess they simply changed colors. Mine is about 2-3years old.

I also own a second planer from that company the Rali pocket. It's a classic one hand planer for edges and has a fence to limit the wide of wood that is touched. I can also plane bevels with that one. But it's much more difficult to work with.

Rali 220Evo @ samvaz.ch producing company, with videos to introduce the system

Unknotted

Re: straight edges, clean surfaces - let's get on planers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
Thanks for the information on your planers.  I will have to wait awhile before I can get one, but I learned a lot from your post.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »
Hey Torsten, I actually have several Hand planes. Most are old U.S. made Stanley planes, and I have some Lie-Nielsen Planes. I don't have an opportunity to use them often, but they are great to use when I need them. I do have a stationary power jointer and a power planer, so I don't use the hand planers often.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:43:05 pm »
I average using my hand planes about once a year. Sometimes they are the best tool for the job.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:27:10 pm »
Hey Dan,

Although I don't own any (way outside my budget), Lie-Neilson Toolworks is 5 minutes from my house.  Need to stop in there one day and take the $.50 tour!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:22:21 pm »
Hey Dan,

Although I don't own any (way outside my budget), Lie-Nielson Toolworks is 5 minutes from my house.  Need to stop in there one day and take the $.50 tour!
Hey Glen, I would love to check them out too! I have several Lie-Nielson planes, They are as good to look at as they are good to use!
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:42:39 am »
the Lie-Nielson planes are really beautiful, indeed.

Maine, it's not so much about the price of the planer. There are also some really valuable planes available that are working really great.

Branda, check out the Anant planes. Those are currently quite popular in Germany, because those are not so expensive as comparable planers. And they are said to be working great. Here hey start around 40 Euro (~50$).

I bought these way before I started scrolling. And I bought it as a recommendation from my brother who already was working with these and found them to be great tools.

I should also tell that the blade lasts really long. It's not like a razor blade, I just change it when I have damaged the blade or so. And that usually never happens when working on scroll saw stuff!

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:44:55 pm »
Torsten,  I have a couple of hand planes, but they are your basic Stanley models.  They work just fine for the work I do.  Kind of like the difference between my Porter-Cable Scrollsaw and the Hegner I'd prefer to have in my shop.   Can't spare that kind off money right now for what is simply a hobby for me.  ::) 

C'mon powerball!  ;) ;D

SMF

Teknoromi