Author Topic: Tips for cutting circles anyone?  (Read 3137 times)

Tropdoug

Tips for cutting circles anyone?
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:07:02 pm »
Hi again

I am doing some small earings that have an outside circle, has anyone got any tips to obtaining a smooth inner and outer cut with consistent width. I am finding that even a miniscule drift from the edge of the line can be seen very easily with the naked eye and detracts from the finish. (I guess you don't get this with cmc laser cutting LOL)

I am hoping that maybe there is a tip or technique that will help me improve the quality of the work.

Doug

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Tips for cutting circles anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:24:34 pm »
do you have access to a lathe? it specializes in concentric circles.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:10:13 am »
My suggestion, or, "The way I do it".......

I usually DRILL the inside circle to get a perfectly round hole. I use a forester drill bit in the drill press to get a nice, smooth hole with as little tear-out as possible. If I don't have one of the EXACT size, I drill using the next size smaller and file or sand the inside to the final dimension.
As for the outer circle, I use the scroll saw to cut just a bit OUTSIDE the line and then sand down to the final dimension.
Of course, it depends on what you are cutting the circle for and if it is a complete ring or maybe has something protruding to the inside or outside of it.
As for using JUST a scroll saw and, depending on the diameter of the circle, I cut just off of the line so that it can be sanded or otherwise worked down to final dimension and/or appear to be perfectly round. Just go slow, take your time, breathe, realize that NOTHING IS PERFICT, it just LOOKS that way!  ;D
At any rate, accept the fact that is going to take some sanding and hand work and it may not be exact but, it will LOOK GOOD to everyone else.  ;)

Rog 
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Tropdoug

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:39:52 am »
I should have been more clear. Attached is a line art of the sort of thing I am doing, the outer ring is the problem area. I think you have probably answered it anyway, go slow, and get better, but anyway have a look and add anything that might be useful.
Thanks for the tips.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:22 am »
There should not be a problem other than developing skill in cutting this image, but I would modify it to let the finger tips and knee touch (or even poke outside) the rim of the moon to provide strength. One technique that might help is to save the bigger cut out sections and place them back into the figure when sanding. You might also cut outside the line on the edge of the moon then sand back to the line. An oscillating drum sander can get into small spaces and remove material slowly until the line is reached.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:07:07 am »
OH WOW!!  :o

I was WAY off base there! I had no idea of what you were doing!  :P

I agree with what EIEIO  said. Especially the part about making stronger bridges to the outer part. I know that earrings in general are fragile but, you are really asking for trouble with such small areas to hold things together.
Yep, the ONLY way to get better at scrolling is PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Tropdoug

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »
Thanks guys

I realised the bridges issue after busting a few whilst sanding, steep learning curve. I have an OSS but it's too big for these, they only measure 25mm 1inch vertically and most are about 20mm wide. I am thinking about setting them into resin once oiled and see what that comes like. Would make them a lot more durable for sure.
I am loving learning the tricks of this scrolling though. I have done hobby woodworking in furniture and some turning for years, but only just got into scrolling -- I can't stay away from it, sooo much fun.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:25:17 am »
You might think about cutting these into coins. There are several postings on coin cutting with the scroll saw. You can find coins (like the US $1 - 26.5 mm or the 2 Euro - 25.75") that are close to the 1" diameter you want. Or look online for brass medallion blanks that can be cut rather than wood. I saw some that were 12 for $5.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Tropdoug

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 10:35:04 am »
Cool idea EIEIO

I will definately look that one up, so many possibilities.   8) :D

SMF

Teknoromi