Author Topic: Stinking pop-ups and tool bars!  (Read 1834 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Stinking pop-ups and tool bars!
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:38:02 am »
I've spent the morning scrubbing my two laptops to get back to normal. Maybe this can save someone a few minutes.

In your browser, there may be extensions that have been loaded, or under Control Panel Programs there could be added programs on your computer. These skunks sneak into your quiet world when you download something from the Internet, even from reputable suppliers if you do not go to the trouble of making a custom installation. They cause those dumb double-green underlines or nuisance pop-up as you try to browse.

Extensions can be disabled or trash-canned. I'd trash can them unless you are clear about what they do. For example, Norton adds a security extension that I leave active.

Invading programs require going to Control Panel/Add Remove (WinXP), Programs and Features (Win7) or similar (depending on your version of Windows). You can sort by installation date. Look for anything recent (within the last month). There may be some valid programs that you intentionally installed, with this unwanted crap installed on the same date. In Win7, right click and Uninstall.

There can certainly be stuff deeper hidden than can be simply uninstalled, so make sure to keep your security software current. I use Norton and have been very happy with it.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: Stinking pop-ups and tool bars!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:54:33 am »
Ray
been there done that and for ever still seem to have to do it. However it usually happens when we download something free, and  of course its the owners of the pop ups etc that sponser the web site, still annoying though.
But at least we can uninstall them now, that as you know would of been a different story some years ago.
Dave

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:58:16 pm »
I have had that issue but lately have not had any sneak in as not to get into a hurry installing software and just ok at a rapid pace, watch before you click ok, there is most times a box to uncheck to keep those add ons or programs being installed. Java is a prime example watch them or you will have mcaffee installed its bundled in there installations.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:14:28 am »
As I tell all my friends and neighbors....READ carefully BEFORE you CLICK!

Even reputable sites are getting more and more sneaky about slipping things into your system when you download!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:18:08 am »
Yes they are, just like java when they want you to update they are trusted so you just hit ok blindly to hurry up to get the install done next thing you know you have some junk installed and don't know where it come from, always check each ok before you click this is where they bundle the add ons. I learned the hard way.

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:52 am »
I have a grandson who spends a lot of time at my computer - some gaming but mostly looking for music and lyrics.  I get a lot of ad banners and pop ups.  I use Firefox and occasionally get it slowed or the message "Firefox not responding."  I find that if I go to Help and Restart, nearly all of my problems get eliminated.  I do not know but assume Explorer and Chrome may have similar restart type of commands that will clean out some of the ad type of garbage not caught by anti virus and other programs.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

SMF

Teknoromi