Author Topic: Which blade to use for cutting a 2x4  (Read 8070 times)

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
Which blade to use for cutting a 2x4
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:45:01 pm »
Which blade is suggested for cutting a 2x4 and how should it be cut: feed rate fast or slow, speed control set low or high? I will be cutting Steve's crayon truck pattern. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Which blade to use for cutting a 2x4
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »
Hey Mad, Blade selection, saw speed and feed rate are all subjective. It is all up to you! First, I would start with a #7 skip tooth blade or a reverse tooth blade. A FD UR #7 or an Olsen skip tooth #7 or reverse tooth #7. Start with a medium saw speed. If you feel the cutting is to slow, speed it up. If you can't stay on the line slow it down. As far as feed rate, let the blade do the cutting. if the blade is deflecting more than 1/8", you're feeding to fast. If it won't cut, speed up the saw or use a larger blade.
Good luck
Dan In Southern California

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:10:18 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I'll get in touch with Mike and order some more blades.

IBMer

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:43:12 pm »
Mad Hatter, 

I would suggest a number 7 blade, skip tooth to allow ample chip / dust removal from the kerf.  Your speed will depend on the blade's ability to clean it's self.  Medium speed to start and work your way from there.   Too fast a blade speed on thick wood may leave you with burn marks.    I'd also double check your user manual to make sure that 2 inch thick lumber will not exceed the saw's recommended maximum thickness.  My PC scroll saw will start to bump the lumber once I get up near 1.5 inches thick.   This may not be the case for other saws, but it's worth checking on a piece of scrap first.       

Best of Luck and be sure to share a picture of your finished project with us.

John

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:05:24 pm »
I did some 2x4 cutting and found you need to be careful to not push sideways against the blade. The long cut in soft wood makes the bottom of the blade drift around compared to the top (where you can see). Also delay a little when making a turn to let the blade cut itself straight.

I used a #5 in the 2x4 and was happy with the result.

Also - if you need a pilot hole, the tiny bits may be too short. You can use a piece of 1/16" steel welding rod about 3" long to drill through the 2x4, even at an angle. It will fit in a Dremel or a drill chuck. Use an awl to get the starting dimple, then the rod will track pretty well through the wood.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:02:50 pm »
I like the bigger blades for cutting 2x4's,  FD-SR No.12's  unless you've got some tight corners to cut.
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

SMF

Teknoromi