Author Topic: Magazine fold out patterns  (Read 3296 times)

Wheelchair@53

Magazine fold out patterns
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:15:08 am »
 ??? .... still new to scrolling.... how do you make copies of the magazine fold out patterns without damaging the back side patterns?

Thanks again in advance,
John
wheelchair@53

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Magazine fold out patterns
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:18:12 pm »
Do you have a copy machine at home? If not, OfficeMax, Staples, Kinkos and other office supply shops will copy about any size page you can give them. When you make a copy, print two - one will be used to glue to the blank and cut, and the other you can use in case the 1st gets buggered up while cutting. Sometimes sawdust will get behind the packing tape and you can't see the pattern so you can use the 2nd copy to figure out what to do.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:41:14 pm »
i use my ol trusty flat bed scanner to do all my copying.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Wheelchair@53

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:44:26 pm »
Todd, the magazine foldout is to big to set the patterns correctly on the flat bed..... I guess it's off to Staples.

flockshot

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:27:53 am »
Copy machines can change the size of the pattern, or you can use a pantograph or projector.  The projector is for enlargement only.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 05:25:40 pm »
If the pattern is too large for the scanner, you can scan part of the image and then
scan the next section, making sure they over-lap so you can tape the sections back together
to complete the whole pattern.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:34:06 am »
Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts has al of their back issues on CD.  The patterns are either in the article or placed at the end of the issue,  No folds, no holes no trip to office store (70 mile round trip for me) You can print as many as you need as often as you need I think the price is reasonable for he benefit plus you get all of the articles too. Personally I import the pattern to Corel  and then save it to my HD, Now if the other magazine would do that! (or maybe they have and I just have not seen it yet)

PS  I am not affiliated with either magazine  in any way)
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 10:55:36 am »
Todd, the magazine foldout is to big to set the patterns correctly on the flat bed..... I guess it's off to Staples.
i only scan the pattern that i want not the full sheet,just let it hang out side of the scanner.if the pattern its self is to big to scan in one piece i scan it in two pieces and use the software that came with my scanner to merge them together to make it one.i have scanned a lot of patterns that way and been happy with the results.i have never went to any office stores to get my pattern printed its a 426 KM drive round trip to get to one of those type of stores.and when i print them my printer take the 8.5" paper so if i prints a pattern bigger then that i will print it out on multiple sheets and i have to join them together on the wood i'm using. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:10:22 am by newfie »

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Wheelchair@53

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 11:09:58 am »
Wow, thanks guys for your responses.... I think I'm going to go with Billy from VA.... cost up front but saves in the long run.... especially I'm in a wheelchair, I don't need to run around trying to the copies.

John
Wheelchair@53

Becky

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 12:14:25 am »
Billy, is it one issue per CD or a bunch of issues collected together?  And what is the cost?  I confess to being lazy and not looking up the info myself but I am also not desperate, just curious. 

Personally, I use the same method as Spirithorse - make two overlapping copies with my scanner and then tape them together.  I just make sure to cut one copy off where it ends to make sure there isn't an overlap of empty paper, tape the back piece to a window and then use the light coming through to line up both pieces and tape the other part on top of the first.  I have also learned to cut most of the excess overlap paper from the back as that has caused me some trouble in the past.

chefman

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:46 am »
Billy, is it one issue per CD or a bunch of issues collected together?  And what is the cost?  I confess to being lazy and not looking up the info myself but I am also not desperate, just curious. 

There are about 12 issues per cd. The cost is about 27 dollars and change (on sale now) and well worth the price. As pointed out, saves a butt load of time from running around trying to get copies.

SMF

Teknoromi