Author Topic: Cutting Music CDs  (Read 4086 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Cutting Music CDs
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:35:18 pm »
Has anyone tried cutting music CDs, and how did that work out for you? I presume you used a jeweller's blade? Cheers, Barry.

Offline Silver Sliver

• View Profile
Re: Cutting Music CDs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 02:06:02 pm »
I tried cutting a few CD's  a few years ago, but gave it up because there weren't many patterns that would work with the center hole.  I sandwiched the CD (or any plastic) between two pieces of scrap plywood.  I used a FD Polar blade.  Not sure of the size but #3,5 or 7 should work.  You need to go slow so that the plastic doesn't get hot and weld itself back together.  Been there, done that.  Experiment with the speed (spm) until you are satisfied.  Good luck.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 02:52:12 pm »
Thank you very much. I have several CDs and was trying to re-purpose them. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth... but I'll bet if your could find a pattern and method of cutting they'd look great! Cheers, Barry.

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 06:14:03 pm »
How about a snow flake pattern that would use or eliminate the center hole?  Well, just a thought.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 07:05:59 pm »
Good idea Paul, I'll certainly give that a try. Thank you.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 12:20:10 am »
Hi, Overfifty,
I have cut CD's for a couple of ornaments and didn't have too much trouble.
I used a #5 reverse tooth blade at slow speed and and just used painters tape
on the CD with the pattern spray glued to the painters tape.

I also used CD's instead of mirrors for some of my daughter's wedding decorations.
If you use a tea light or battery operated light glued to the CD, the reflections are more
like a prism effect instead of a reflection from a mirror. Lots cheaper than mirrors too! LOL

God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 05:37:39 am »
 i dont remember the issue. quite awhile back they had an article on cutting cd's. seems like it
was xmas ornaments. sorry i cant remember which one. my memory batteries are wearing out
  termite

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 06:48:24 am »
You don't want to use a jewelers blade.  The cuts in the CD will melt back together.  I use either a #3 or #5 reverse tooth blade depending on how tight the turns are.  Go slow and use tape.  The tape will help with chipping and lube the blade to keep it cooler.  There was an article with Christmas patterns a few years ago in one of the magazines.  I made some angels.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 04:28:56 pm »
I tried this once, did ok but found the cut would meld back together if cutting too fast, also most mass produced cd's are stamped together, the inner shiny material loved to crack if too much vibration from the blade while cutting. I saw this in a book to make small ornaments and tried it but was not happy with the results.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 06:00:57 pm »
Dirtrider, was this before or after you got your excaliber?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 06:30:44 pm »
Think it was when I had my craftsman, or not too long after I got my craftsman, now that i have the EX I may go back to the library and check that book back out that had the patterns and try it again since the ex runs alot smoother and have better control, I mean once they were cut and put together it was a cool effect more so when near a light to reflect and twinkle. But if your saw has vibration it may not turn like you hoped.

Best I can say is go slow take your time.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:13:14 am »
There is a good way to cut CD's you need a zero clearance insert or surface, this is to support the cd while cutting, second you need to cover the cd with blue tape.  The tape acts like a lubricant and helps prevent melting back together.  You do not need to really slow the speed way down, mid range is good and using a reverse blade helps keep the kerf clear as well..  Another thing you can easily cut is the platters from inside a scrapped hard drive.  Disassemble the hard drive cover the platter with tape and use a #3 jewelers blade, you get a very nice and shiny ornament.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 10:52:08 am »
I tried it this year, what a mess.  Used a # 5 reverse tooth and was trying to stack cut a snow flake pattern.  Glued itself back together and then cracked as I tried to separate them.  If I could figure out how to post a picture would have posted my results!

SMF

Teknoromi