Author Topic: A real American Hero died  (Read 5670 times)

chief

A real American Hero died
« on: May 29, 2010, 01:22:03 pm »
I am sure by now everyone has heard that Gary Coleman died yesterday.  Well the one death that didnt make much news was on Thursday and it was John W. Finn Lt. USN(RET).  Mr. Finn joined the Navy in 1926 at the age of 16.  He was promoted to Chief Petty Officer in 1936.  He was stationed at Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay on Dec 7, 1941.  He was at home when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.  He immediately returned to base.  He manned a machine .50 machine gun on a mount that was made for training.  He set up the machine gun in the open so he had a better shot at the Japanese aircraft, in return they had a better shot at him.  He had 21 injuries from shrapnel and bullets, but did not leave the make shift gun mount until the last aircraft had left.  Mr. Finn reported to medical for treatment and then immediately returned to his squadron to arm the aircraft that same day.  Later in the war Mr. Finn became and Officer and was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.  He was awarded The Congressional Medal of Honor and it was presented by Admiral Chester Nimitz.
John Finn was the oldest surviving Medal of Honor recipient from Pearl Harbor.  He passed away in Chula Vista, CA, a suberb of San Diego, on the morning of 27 May at the age of 100.

Now some of you are wondering why I wrote this and could probably care less.  Well as we enter this weekend lets remember what it is really about.  There are many troops serving overseas away from their families protecting your freedom.

JoeScroller

Re: A real American Hero died
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »
Here, here !!!!!! Bravo !!!! :)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:29:05 pm »
Here Here.  My salute to fellow vets!
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »
Thanks for sharing your story.  If we all shared one story such as this, the heroes of our country would always be remembered.  It puts things in perspective. 

Thanks again, Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »
A very timely reminder of those that served to help keep our country free..
best regards,

Bud Prine

chief

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 02:17:16 pm »
Well I've got more it just takes me forever to type them out.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 06:15:20 pm »
I have two grandsons in the services. One is a Navy Lt. in training to be a fighter pilot and the other is a Marine Lance Corporal.

Sure gives a different perspective on the Memorial Day Remembrance for me!

I have read Finn's story several times and am sorry he is finally gone.

God Bless ALL who did, are now and ever will serve!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:37:36 pm »
All our troops need to be remembered every day and especially on Memorial day!!!  Each house on our whole block has flown an  American flag continuously since 9/11 and we'll keep them flying until our boys come home.

God Bless Them ALL
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline RFortier

• View Profile
    • Sparetime Scroller
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:43:20 pm »
Thank you for the great tribute to Lt. Finn. That's what Memorial Day is for, keeping the memory of these great heros alive.

Ray F

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 09:36:45 pm »

Just to add my salute to Mr Finn. This picture shows him wearing his medal of honor.

daneklund

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 11:41:11 pm »
Here, Here!

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:01:49 am »
Chief, I did hear the story on the news, and agree with you and others that it is a story we should all know.  Thank you for the tribute.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Becky

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 01:15:51 am »
That's an amazing story.  People throw the word "hero" around an awful lot these days - to the point where it sometimes loses its meaning.  This fellow was an old school hero - that is to say - a real one.  Thanks for sharing the story.

chief

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:26:57 am »
A more modern hero would be Pat Tillman.  A man that gives up millions to serve his country and then lose his life in the service of his country is a hero in my book.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 02:48:09 am »
 :-\ Chapeau! ... there are really great "artists" in every sector and in the world, we will never know enough to thank people like this ...

SMF

Teknoromi