Author Topic: Blade tension on Dewalt saw  (Read 1104 times)

Offline jrpatten63@yahoo.com

• View Profile
Blade tension on Dewalt saw
« on: August 24, 2020, 04:50:48 pm »
I’m having a problem getting a good blade tension on my Dewalt.  I thread my blade from top through the work, hold the blade down and tighten the bottom clamp.  Then when I sent the tension it’s not tight.  I’ve gone to stretching a bungee cord over the arm to hold it down when tightening the bottom clamp and that seems to work, but wondering if there’s a better way.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim Patten
Cloquet, MN

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Blade tension on Dewalt saw
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:06:41 pm »
try to put downward pressure on the top blade clamp to remove linkage slack before tightening the bottom clamp  or maybe internal adjustment is needed. Info can be found on this adjustment on the Ginnell woodworker club site i believe

Offline ddockstader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 12:56:31 am »
That's the Gwinnett Woodworking site out of Georgia. Pushing down on the top linkage does nothing. The arms are mechanically held and unless you have ruined the linkage, you can't get them any closer. You need to look at the Dewalt maintenance videos, specifically Bob Brokaw's, to get instruction on how to disassemble and maintain the saw. I suspect that your problem is involved in setting the tension with that little lever on the upper arm. If you can get the blade connected in both the top and bottom blade holders, that tension control will tighten it right up. Now if it isn't tight and the tension control is all the way to the left, then your blade holders are slipping and that's an entirely different problem. No matter what, the Gwinnett club's videos will show you how to correct it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:02:34 am by ddockstader »

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 04:17:57 pm »
I appreciate being corrected especially the Gwinnett Woodworking site. My Dewalt doesn't have that problem ( once I adjusted the linkage rod connecting the adjusting lever with the slide mechanism on the adjuster) but I have another brand of saw where pushing downward pressure on the upper linkage does . This saw is brand new and I got this tip from Scrollsaw Village

Cheers

SMF

Teknoromi