Author Topic: Blade sliping  (Read 1783 times)

Offline rdatelle

• View Profile
Blade sliping
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:26:45 am »
Hi everyone, I seem to be having a minor problem. After I tighten my blade down, it seems to slide between the screw when I start to put the tension on it. Could it be i need a new screw or make it a little rougher so it don't slip. I'm always adjusting the tension as I'm scrolling to try and keep the blade tight. Thanks Ralph.
Ralph

mlwmerk

Re: Blade sliping
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:35 am »
I too had that problem.  I solved it two ways. 

First: I wipe each blade end with a shop towel before I install it to remove any residual machining oil.

Second: I removed the set screws and roughened the tips with sand paper to provide a better purchase on the blades.

I hope this works as well for you.

Walt in CT

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:39:32 am »
First: clean the ends of the blades with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any machining oil. You should be able to buy it at any pharmacy or grocery store.

Second:clean the blade clamps/set screws with the alcohol also since they have been contaminated with machining oil too.

Third: sand the ends of the blades to rough them up to prevent slipping. DO NOT Sand The Set Screws. :( I know a lot of people recommend it but they have a hardened coating that can be sanded off and will just add to the slipping problem. This comes from most manufactures not me.

Russ
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline rdatelle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:03 pm »
Thanks guys for the tips. I'll try them out.
Ralph

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 04:14:31 pm »

are the two faces of the screw and other side flush? the screw itself might have worn as well. Check that both faces are flush and parallel. Another possibility is that the "left" face has backed out. Make certain it reaches to the center of the slot.

kennybruzda

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »
The thing to do is to use a small stone like for sharpening a knife and do the end of the blade and it will roughen it up and will not slip, this a will do the trick.

Kenny

Offline rdatelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 03:40:45 pm »
Thanks for all the tips. I did the sand paper one so far. Seems a little better. I have to pick up some of that alcohol to and clean the blades. Thanks again guys.

Ralph

SMF

Teknoromi