General Category > General Scroll Saw Talk

wood chipping during cuts...

(1/3) > >>

Papahawg:
I'm sure some of you have run into this problem, I have been scrolling off and on for 6 months and have only made 3 portraits. Every time I make a portrait the wood will chip at the end of a point. For example, I may have a V shape cut and at the point of the V the wood will chip off. My wife says you really don't notice it. I always reply, "I" notice it!!

I use 1/4" oak or birch plywood. If you know what my problem is please feel free to knock me on the head and straighten me out!! :)

I must be doing something wrong, I've searched all over for the answer and find nothing. Is it the wood I'm using? What wood do others use...okay now I'm just spinning around in circles again.... I"ll wait for some answers.. lol

thanks for any help

Mike

Wandascroller:
Hi Papa
I know what you are describing.
Plywood tends to chip on the "grain" sometimes.
Is your blade worn when this happens?
A new blade may help.
What sort of blades are you using?

Gary:
Mike,
    One thing to check is that the blade hole on your table isn't to big. Many scrollers put a piece of plexiglass or plywood on top of the table with just enough clearance to insert the blade. It gives the wood much better support. Since I did this my breakouts dropped 75 percent.....Gary

Russ C:
Both of the other answers are great things to try to help correct the problem. I know I have had problems with oak plywood but not with Baltic Birch. The only other thing I can add is when you come to the point of the V try to slow down and not push the wood as hard.  8)

indiana_jones765:
hi mike, i do not have that problem, i use flying dutchman, ultra reverse #5 and they work great because the lower teeth are reversed and cut smooth on the bottom side of the wood. and one more thing, make sure your blade is 90 degrees from your table, side to side, and front to back. i hope this helps. and gary has a good point about using a thin board on top of your table. jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version