Author Topic: Foot Pedal  (Read 7779 times)

pddesertrat

Foot Pedal
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:06:16 pm »
I want to add a foot pedal to my DeWalt scroll saw.  I have a struggle choosing between a deadman (on/off) I think that is right, or the kind that keeps the saw running as long as you have the switch depressed.    I like to read pros and cons of the two types is anyone has any.

Thanks.

thumbs

Re: Foot Pedal
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10:28 pm »
I bought a momentary(dead man) switch from harbor freight about 5 years ago and it is still going strong--It"s the only way to go--imho--Richard   
 ;D ;D

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:13:41 pm »
I have a foot pedal and love it. I have the kind that you step on and the power comes on, take foot off and power cuts off.  Its a very handy device, much better than I expected. 

Its very handy for those tight, tiny corners where you just need another stroke or two of the blade. 

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:51:29 pm »
OK, I think you have your terms mixed up.
A "Dead Man Switch" is the one where you must keep your foot pressing on it to keep the saw running. (As long as you are alive, the saw will run, if you die and your foot falls off of the switch the saw dies with you.)
The other one is simply an "On/ Off" switch that is activated with your foot instead of your fingers.
I prefer a dead man switch for ease of use and some control over speed and quickness of stopping the saw. Other people have their preferences of course but, I can just see myself stomping all over the floor with my foot trying to find the pedal to stop the saw.  ;D

The idea of a dead mans switch was a safety devise for big machinery that required a person to be in constant control and not have a "run away" with nobody controlling the machine. (Think train engines for example.)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

ChuckD

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »
I have the "dead man" type.  Very handy when the blade breaks and you are standing 4 feet away and the saw has stopped.  I have three.  Two on my scrollsaws and one on my drill press. 

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:00:55 pm »
Thanks all for your input.  Thanks also Rog for correcting me, it should have been obvious to me.  I think the "dead man is winning out, after all, I'm 70 now so it is a possibility..... :-\  ;D

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »
Thanks all for your input.  Thanks also Rog for correcting me, it should have been obvious to me.  I think the "dead man is winning out, after all, I'm 70 now so it is a possibility..... :-\  ;D

No problem. I'm 70 years old also and have been using my dead man switch for the last eight years at least.
I ordered mine from Sloane's wood working I think. It says Olson on the bottom and is still going strong. I recommend it.

You know your getting old when the Government REQUIRES you to start withdrawing money from your IRA!  ;D  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:02:40 pm »
I'm 71 and like my dead man foot switch.  :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:11:10 pm »
Two of mine are from Harbor Frieght and they work fine.

pddesertrat

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:17:55 pm »

No problem. I'm 70 years old also and have been using my dead man switch for the last eight years at least.
I ordered mine from Sloane's wood working I think. It says Olson on the bottom and is still going strong. I recommend it.

You know your getting old when the Government REQUIRES you to start withdrawing money from your IRA!  ;D  ;)

Rog

Yep!  I have to with draw also.  I keep thinking I will just put what I have to withdraw in a fund, but it doesn't seem to make it!  Oh, well my kids can bury me! or not.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »
I'm 71 also with a dead-man switch setup. My only complaint [a small one] is my 71 year old leg gets tired holding that "on" position and every once in while as I'm threading a new hole my foot relaxes from the up position and things start up unexpectedly. At those times I'm glad I picked a safe machine to run. :)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:58 am »
OK, have to throw in my two cents here!  I'm 78 and have four dead man switches... two are from Harbor Freight and I've never had a problem with them.  Good price, good switches.. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 08:46:36 am »
I agree with Dakota...  I have Harbor Freight switches but not the one you have to hold down to keep the saw running.  Two reasons for this: (1) I get tired holding down the peddle all the time. This is why I like cruse control in my car.  (2) When cutting large or long pieces I need to move my body away from the saw a bit to turn the long piece of wood around, and keeping my foot on the peddle/floor switch is a problem doing this.  The only reason I can see to get a "Hold it down " switch is that you can turn the saw off with just the removal of your foot from that switch.  I achieve this same benefit with my on/ off floor switch by, when nearing the end of my cut, I press the floor switch down, saw keeps running until I take my foot off of the switch. As I near the end of my cut I just remove my foot and the saw then stops.  So, you see I have it both ways with an on/off type foot switch.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 10:16:19 am »
Personally, I prefer the switch that you have to hold down to keep the saw running.

The big reason is for the instant start and stop. When I'm scrolling very small or very intricate pieces, I like having that precise control. I start and stop often on the small or intricate stuff and It would take longer to stop the blade if I had to press and release a switch.

For easier stuff, it probably wouldn't make any difference. I also keep the foot switch raised on a small platform that is a comfortable spot to keep my foot.

Ray

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 10:48:00 am »
I just bought me a deadman switch and have to get used to it... I sometime use the hand switch on my hegner to switch it of... old habits.... LOL.
I have made a resting bar on my table so I can easily use the foot to operate the saw.
think for this time for me the foot switch is good.
specially when cutting small holes and pieces that can start flapping when starting the saw. I now have both hands on the project and the table.
but I've had cut without a foot switch for 5 years now. so both work fine.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi