Author Topic: Order of assembly  (Read 1035 times)

EdN

Order of assembly
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:39:48 pm »
Hi Steve,
When making a piece such as your "God is Love" cross, (where the cross is attached to a backing board), do you First glue the cross on to the backing board and then apply a finish or do you apply a finish first to both pieces and then glue them together?  I know this might sound like a stupid trivial question but with some finishes glue has a hard time sticking.

Thanks,
Ed Novak

agooday88

Re: Order of assembly
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:33:57 pm »
I saw that pattern too. I am going to make that one next. I am eager to see the replies.

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:41:38 am »
If I were doing it, I would either glue the pieces before finishing or tape over the areas that will have glue applied to them, apply the finish, then remove the tape and glue.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:05:05 am »
I would glue before finishing. Glue doesn't like to stick to any finish.  :'(
If you are getting "squeeze out" of the glue, you are using too much glue. You can get a blob or two by using a toothpick to remove it but, it is easier to just put a thin film on the back of the cutting and apply weight on top of the stack. There usually not enough abuse to scrolling that just a small amount of glue wont hold things together. Also spray glue just on the back of the cutting might do it if you give it two coats and let it set up until tacky before mounting it.
Actually, if it is not too bad of squeeze out, it probably won't be noticed by anyone but you anyway. Sometimes even the finish (if you are spraying a hard finish coat) will help seal the edges and make the two pieces want to stick together also.
If you are "soaking" it in an oil bath before a final finish, you will have another problem with glue sticking things together.

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

EdN

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:12:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply pddesetrat & Rog,  I was thinking that would be the best way but am glad you confirmed and eased my mind  :)

Ed

agooday88

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:12:35 pm »
Great! I can't wait to get started.

SMF

Teknoromi