Author Topic: Dw788  (Read 1241 times)

Mocha

Dw788
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »
I just got a new dw788 why I wanted to make bowls  :) problem when I try to cut 3/4 poplar at a 28 degree bevel the wood starts jumping up and down so much I can't hold on to it. This was over a 500.00 investment so I would really like to know we're I am going wrong.  :'(
I've checked the blade so I am at a lost

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Dw788
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:51:24 pm »
Frustrating, isn't it?  I have put the blade in with the teeth pointing up and it took me a while to realize my error.  Before I realized my error, I fought to keep the wood on the table. 

Does the wood jump when the table is flat (at 90 degrees to the blade)? Perhaps the blade tension is incorrect? It has to be much tighter than you would think a tiny blade could take.  A quick test is to tension the blade and then try to push it sideways with your thumb - it shouldn't move more than 1/8".

If these suggestions doesn't solve your problem, get back to us and I'm sure someone with more experience will offer other suggestions.

Good luck,
JIm
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Mocha

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 07:27:20 pm »
Thank you for the reply.  At 90 degrees no jumping. checked the blade and it's correct. I did tension test you were right needed a little more. Tried bevel cut again kept most of wood on up side of the table and it did a little better but when moved the wood to the down side the jumping started. I have tried to find a YouTube showing someone bevel cutting on a dw788. I am at a lost.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:03:30 pm »
You are letting the weight of the wood slide down the table too far and bending the blade a little. If you are cutting a bevel in a piece, you must push it up hill a little bit so that the blade remains straight and vertical so that it can make the cut. 
It is a problem for all of us. I cut bevels quite often and even I tend to forget and get a bit of jump to remind me to think about what I'm doing from time to time.
Just remember to go slow, feed the cut line into the blade with out much pressure, let the blade do the work and in the case of bevel cuts, support the wood and keep the center in line with the blade from side to side.

Rog

PS, It is not the saw's fault. I have the same model and have been using it for over eight years and I've cut 20 or more vases, bowls and mugs over the years.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:07:27 pm by Rapid Roger »
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Mocha

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:53:19 pm »
I will try that next thanks for the help  :D
Thank bk

kingcole

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:55:31 am »
I have the same saw and problem sometimes.  I have found slow speed let the blade do the work keep a sharp blade,  I use Flying Dutchman from mikes and change it at least after 15 minutes and sometimes oftener depending of wood.  The little humming bird bowls from steves website are a good practice that
is what I learned on and have made several the first ones would not hold gravel now I can make them hold most anything except liquid.

SMF

Teknoromi