Author Topic: ROS  (Read 1757 times)

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
ROS
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:04:55 pm »
I have a 1/4 sheet palm sander and wondering about a 5" random orbital sander.  Is there any advantage to a ROS over a 1/4 sheet palm sander?  Would a ROS be any more agressive than a 1/4 sheet palm sander using the same grit sand paper?  A 1/4 sheet palm sander has the advantage of being able to use a 1/4 sheey of sand paper or a roll of 4 1/2" of paper cut to 5 1/2" long, where a ROS needs the 5" round disc with hook/loop fasteners.  Just wondering if I would gain anything getting a ROS since I already have 2 of the 1/4 sheet palm sanders.

Bob
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: ROS
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:19:21 pm »
Yes, you would benefit.  I have both a PC 1/4 sheet and a PC ros.  The orbit size of the ros is far greater than that of the 1/4 sheet so it accomplishes its task much more quickly.  I still use both often, but I reserve the 1/4 sheet for 220 grit and final finish.  I recommend the low profile "390K" model.  It is more ergo-metric and I have been using mine for years.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:38:05 pm »
I have a PC 5" ros also and I only use 120 to 400 grit paper on it. I don't consider it as "more aggressive" at all, I consider it as making things a lot "smoother and flatter"
I have a De Walt 1/4 sheet sander that I seldom use and three Mouse sanders with a different grit paper on each one. 80, 120 and 220 grit papers.
I also have flapper wheels and other attachments for the drill press as well as a Ridgid spindle sander for other than flatwork.
I do a lot of woodworking of small items other than scrolling and I HATE sanding so I make it as easy an quick as I can on myself.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:42:11 am »
I'm Just the opposite.  I rarely use my ROS.  I have 3 1/4 sheet sanders that I keep different grits on.  I made a jig to hold one upside down so I could free hand when ever I needed. 

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:08:35 am »
Curious what grit paper you keep on each?

I'm Just the opposite.  I rarely use my ROS.  I have 3 1/4 sheet sanders that I keep different grits on.  I made a jig to hold one upside down so I could free hand when ever I needed.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:51:44 am »
I keep 100, 150, and 220 on each sander.  I seldom need the 100, so it is on my crappiest sander.  For most projects, I don't need to go over 220.  I also have the same grits of sanding mops for odd shaped things.

SMF

Teknoromi