Author Topic: Hello from Indiana!  (Read 1306 times)

Adam

Hello from Indiana!
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:40:38 pm »
Hello, I'm Adam. I'm 25 and my dad was a shop teacher for 25+ years before he became a high school principal. I spent almost every summer out in the shop helping him build stuff and the scroll saw was the first real power tool that I got to use by myself when I was probably 8 or 10. I've always liked scrolling but never really did anything intricate. Usually stuff that would be in a beginner's book definitely no fret work.

I hadn't really done much with it since I was 12 or 13 but I came across some of Steve's videos on youtube and got to thinking about it and decided that I wanted to make something. So a month or so ago I went down to my dad's shop and fixed up the old craftsman saw that he had and got it working decently for what it was, and made an ornament that I had designed for my 6 month old son. This was the first project I had done in probably 10+ years, but I think it turned out decent. I decided I wanted to make another one so I made one for my best friend's 2 week old daughter right before Christmas.

On Christmas Day I happened to stumble upon a Dewalt DW788 on Craigslist and was able to get it for $260 almost brand new condition. Now I'm working on learning a good saw compared to the small, very vibrational 15-20 year old saw that my dad has. It's definitely different. I don't have a foot pedal yet, I have one ordered but I'm still waiting on it to arrive. I also have some Flying Dutchman blades on their way as well, since the blades that came with the saw aren't very good.  I look forward to being on here and learning as I go!

Here's the ornament that got me back into it!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Indiana!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:41:40 am »
Glad you found us and joined Adam. Russ from Florida here, welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:03:52 am »
Hi Adam and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  It sounds like you've got a great start.  Good saw, good blades, and a great background.  I loved watching my dad when I was a kid and don't think I could do half the things I do without him.  We're glad you are here.

Rover2

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:37:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum Adam.  I'm Al from TN.  You did an excellent job on that ornament and look forward to seeing more of your work as you progress with your new saw.  The Dewalt is a good saw and should treat you well.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 12:09:13 pm »
Welcome Adam! Great job on the ornament! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum, i am Pierre from Qu?bec, Canada.
Pierre

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 12:55:19 am »
Welcome to the forum Adam.  I'm Marg from Australia  You did a terrific job of the ornament, you will soon have orders coming in.

Marg

MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi