Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 2626 times)

zeroloc

Hi everyone!
« on: October 30, 2013, 09:28:23 pm »
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm Jeremy Gilleland, I'm 31 an Air Force veteran and new to scrolling. I knew the basics of scrolling from spending many high school days hanging out with my best friend in his grandpas wood shop (he had a small business scrolling) but as I've already found out watching someone scroll just doesn't teach the lessons that hands on experience does! I've only been scrolling for a few weeks on an old dremel 1680 that vibrates like a washing machine with an unbalanced load (yes it has the metal stand and weighed down). My wife bought it used for $40 to get me started and after reading some advice in these forums and watching Steve's videos on YouTube I decided to jump headlong in to work!

Me being stubborn and not wanting to do something easy and simple for a starter project I downloaded the plans for the trail of tears Indian feather and got to work, I used some 3/4" pine that I had in my shop and broke 2 blades in the process! After nearly 2 hours of fighting the bucking bronco that is my scroll saw I had my first completed project! I sanded it smooth and stained it in a red mahogany stain, I was happy that it had turned out so beautiful! I took it with me to the VFW here in town and someone offered me $20 for it!

Naturally I had to sell it and now I have orders for more! I've already made the wolf in the feather and the eagle in the feather and the orders keep coming! I'm already trying to sell a gun to finance me a new Excalibur ex21! I'm excited about the work I'm doing and there's so many projects I can't wait to try, my current project is an anniversary gift for some friends on their 10th anniversary tomorrow(yes they got married on Halloween!) It has been a lot of work so far with 200 interior cuts but I think its something they will always appreciate since I'm adding a black backer and framing it for them as well.

Okay well I think I've ran long in my post but that's a good run down of where I'm at and how I'm doing! Hope to learn a lot more from everyone here!

countryscroller

Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 10:10:34 pm »
Welcome Jeremy! I'm Dustin from Ohio. Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you have had some great success with your work, good for you! Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the "Brag Forum"

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:33:41 pm »
Greetings from South Dakota Zeroloc!  This old retired MSgt (USAF) welcomes you to the forum, madness, and addiction.  Thanks for carrying on after we did our part in the Air Force.

Good to have you with us.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:32:23 am »
Hi Jeremy, welcome to the site.  I'm Marg from Australia.  Well you are certainly addicted, you do realize that there is no known cure?  :D  Have fun my friend.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

zeroloc

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:28:21 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome ya'll! Yes I am having success so far and I will put some pictures up of my work tomorrow! Thanks for the welcome Al W and we have all played our part and done more than what was ever asked of us, we vets have to stick together and be proud of what we have done! Marg, I am completely addicted and I think there's one of two cures for it, either more scrolling or to quote Christopher Walken "I need more cowbell!" :-)

I appreciate the warm welcome and I will talk more later but for now I have to get some shut eye, I have a lot of saw dust to make tomorrow!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 06:32:21 am »
Hi Jeremy and welcome to the forum.  For starters, thank you for your service.  I'm Julie from Texas.  I started on a Dremel 1680.  It has been passed down to my son in law and still running.  I did the same thing, saved money from my sales to get my EX21, never regretted it.  Glad you've joined us.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:28:07 am »
Welcome Jeremy! Glad you found this forum and you enjoy scrolling so much! I too am an EX 21 owner and love it. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your craft!

Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline danpage1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:19:44 pm »
Welcome Jeremy and thanks for your service. I am Dan from Indiana. I used an old delta scroll saw for years and just recently got the EX-21 and love it. Welcome to the forum

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:49 pm »
hi and welcome to the forum i'm Todd from NL Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

tdpainter

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:52:02 am »
Hello and welcome to the site, I'm Travis from NL, Canada

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:04:44 am »
Welcome Jeremy! I'm Pete from Minnesota.
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 08:07:55 pm »
Glad to have you aboard Jeremy, this is a great site. We have the best of the best on this forum. I'm Clyde from Newfoundland. Ya, there are three of us on here from the Rock.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 09:35:21 am »
Welcome and thank you for your service.  I'm a proud navy veteran.  You definitely have the bug and will really appreciate the change when you get your saw upgraded.  You can turn out beautiful work on most any saw but it becomes much more enjoyable with a better saw.

Wheelchair@53

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 03:10:42 pm »
Hi Jeremy, Welcome aboard from this retired TSgt (USAF).  This is great site with a great bunch of people.  Looking forward to seeing your work.

John from NC

WoodChuck1944

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 12:12:55 am »
Welcome,  you came to the right place.

Charleston

SMF

Teknoromi