Author Topic: Scrollers Challange  (Read 1170 times)

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Scrollers Challange
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:59:01 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Challange for anyone that would like to answer it. I will give y'all my take on the answer and see what other answers come out. Ok here goes.

You have a project that needs a board 1/2 x 13 x 9 inches but all you have is one board with irregular edges that measures 1/2 in thick x 8 in. wide x 24 in long to work with. You realize that you need to cut the board in two and join them to get the right width, but how?

You have the following tools to work with

* a 9 in. band saw with a coarse blade
* a router with a table
* an 18 in flatbed drum sander ( similar to the sand flea )
* your scroll saw
* two bar clamps
* glue

The challenge

Cut the board in half so that you now have two 1/2 in. thick x 8 in. wide x 12 in. long boards and join the two boards irregular edges together so that the glue joint is near perfection. Remember you do not have a table saw or a jointer to work with.

My answer to the challenge :

1) Cut the board in to two 1/2 x 8 x 12 in boards with the scroll saw.

2) Choose an edge to work with, measure in 1 in. ( I am assuming that the irregular edge does not go past this ) on both boards and mark it and draw a straight line down the length along your marks.

3) Using the band saw cut another board for a spacer so that it is 1/2 in thick x 2 in wide and 12 in long. You should now have 3 pieces of wood 1/2 thick and 12 in long. One board will be 2 in wide the other two will be 8 in wide.

4) On one of the 8 in wide boards measure in from the straight line you drew earlier 1/2 inch and draw another line down the length.

5) Stack the two 8 in. boards together so that the board you just marked is on top and that only the last 1 in of the boards are overlapping.

6) Tape, Hot glue, screw, nail or however you want to do this the two 8 in wide boards together so that they are firmly attached to each other.

7) Tape or hot glue the spacer board so that the top board is supported.

8) Using a 5r blade cut the line on the 8 in board that you drew in step 4.

9) Separate the two 8 in boards and the spacer board from each other.

10) You now have an edge on the two 8 in wide boards that fit each other perfectly and is now ready to glue.

11) Glue up the joint and clamp over night.

12) Unclamp and using the flat bedsander clean up the top and the bottom of your now joined at the edges board.

This will give you a near perfect edge to glue to and will ensure that the top and bottom of your project is flat and level.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Scrollers Challange
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 10:28:16 am »
Just a thought.  Why not slap a straight bit in the router table and run the whole board down the router table.  Then split it into 2 pieces and glue up.  The router bit should give you a perfectly straight edge almost as good as a jointer.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:18:59 pm »
Good Idea.  Might jump a bit on the irregularities but should work.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

boxmaker

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »
I agree with Julie, Router would have been my answer, put a straight bit in, and  if you have another board with a straight edge ie. plywood, a different board with a good edge, attach it to your wavy edge board with the wavy edge sticking past the edge of your good board and run the straight edge against the fence. for a nice straight edge and no worry about jumping around. If my method doesn't sound too confusing.

Mark

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 02:21:32 pm »
Mark is right, Use a straight board as a template.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 02:44:43 pm »
Yep mark nailed it.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

chips

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 03:52:57 pm »
 Now this is weird! I just saw Mark's idea on the Woodsmith show on PBS an hour ago and was gonna post that but see Mark (and others) beat me to it. The only difference is they used the table saw rather than a router.

Pete

SMF

Teknoromi