Author Topic: hello from Colorado  (Read 2938 times)

Offline MFannin

• View Profile
hello from Colorado
« on: October 12, 2018, 07:25:59 pm »
My thanks to Steve Good and his YouTube channel that led me to this forum.  I'm new to scrolling and am looking to build my tool inventory.  I'd like recommendations on tools, blades, accessories, etc.  I'm planning on retiring in a few years and would like to devote more time to making items for the family and for a little extra income at craft fairs, etc.  It's amazing how many useful and interesting items can be made and that's what draws me to this area of wood working.  I'm a retired USAF Master Sergeant living in Colorado Springs and thanks for letting me post to the group.  Sincerely, Mark in Colorado.
Mark Fannin
KA0BUD

Offline eburk

• View Profile
Re: hello from Colorado
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 01:34:17 am »
Welcome to the forum Mark. I am ex Air Force as well. There is a good, knowledgeable group here. Look through some of the old posts and a lot of questions will be answered I am sure. Many here use a Delta 788, you will also find some Hawks, Hegners, and others. I recommend you get the best saw you can afford. It will let you get started and learn what this addiction is all about.

I am Ev from Palmer, Alaska
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 11:01:05 am »
welcome and a warning scroll sawing is addictive, relaxing and gets creative juices flowing a great pastime for us woodies. as to blades Pegas Modified Geometry (MG) work very well and have good control. the MG 0/2 is my go to blade for photo puzzles. I get mine from Bear woods.

Offline MFannin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 01:50:43 pm »
I know Palmer, Alaska.  I was stationed at Elmendorf a long time ago.  Love the state.  We still have friends who live in Eagle River.  Thanks for writing and your advice. 
Mark Fannin
KA0BUD

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 07:44:37 pm »
Hello Mark;
I am a native from Longmont Colorado am now living in Indiana.  Living here due to wife's elderly folks.  I started scrolling a few years ago but haven't had much garage time this year.  Been getting the garage and house ready for retirement.  Welcome to the forum, ask questions and show us some stuff.  I have learned a lot of tips and tricks here and the people are talented and amaze me with the things they cut.

Bill

Offline MFannin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 06:31:44 pm »
Thanks Busco.  Longmont is a ways up I-25 but not too far.  What is your advice for a first scroll saw?  I was leaning towards the DeWalt 788 but see a lot of bearing problems develop in them after the warranty expires.  Then I see the inexpensive WEN 3920 as a good first saw, but it seems too cheap.  Then I see the Seyco ST-21 and my mouth drools, but my pocket book isn't that thick.  I want to get on my own machine and make things.  You mentioned you have been scrolling for just a few years, what's your experience?  Thanks for your time and advice.  If you're ever in Colorado Springs, give me a call.  Cheers, Mark
Mark Fannin
KA0BUD

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:04:53 am »
arm lift, up front controls, variable speed and easy blade change would be must for me.

I have a Dewalt type 1 that I bought second hand and have probably put 3000 plus hours on it, it just now it has developed a slight vibration that I can easily fix. The type 1 was first made in Canada, then u.s .  I think the type two that is sold now is made in Tiawain . my first saw was a cheapo and the most frustrating piece of machinery to enter my shop. but in hindsight I learned a lot of neat tricks to make it functional.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:03:50 pm »
Welcome Mark! I am Tony Cunningham, and live in Paris, Texas. I lived in Lakewood, Colorado for several years and really miss the mountains, rivers, etc but not the traffic now! I live on a small ranch, raise a few horses and have been retired for sixteen years. I really love scrolling! I have an EX 21 saw and love it. I purchased it from Ray at Seyco in 2011. I use Flying Dutchman ultimate reverse blades, ;primarily no. 1,3, and 5. My advise is get a good saw that you can afford and use good blades, such as FD, Pegas, Olsen, etc.; not ones purchased at HD, Lowes, etc. I buy most wood from Ocooch online, and there are other online wood vendors, and I use mostly Baltic Birch plywood. Do real well at craft shows close to Christmas selling ornaments and crosses. Make sure you have good ventilation for the dust also. I have an air purifier above my saw. hope this information helps and remember, there are no dumb questions; and there are many good scrollers on this forum that are willing to answer your questions. 

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 11:49:24 am »
Welcome Mark. I'm Al from Calif.  Can't have too many tools, but when you purchase them buy the best you can afford and they'll last a lifetime.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline MFannin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 10:39:44 am »
Thanks Tony.  Great advice and resources.  I signed up for the free Ocooch catalog.  I've decided to save up and purchase the Seyco scroll saw.  I volunteered for extra hours at work and should have the $$ by early next year.  Meanwhile, I'll be purchasing quality blades and build up a supply of wood and plans to start projects.  Thanks to everyone for the advice.  Mark in Colorado.
Mark Fannin
KA0BUD

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 05:44:15 am »
Hi Mark,
I have a Delta 40-694.  The finance minister won't let me get anything better.  But that being said she also says if I start making money at it then I can buy what I want.  I started with a cheesy brand I got from a hardware store, got hooked and jumped to the Delta.  For what I do which has so far been gifts for the kids, grand kids, and the seniors at the retirement home my wife works The delta hasn't failed me yet.  Like the Toneman says buy good blades.  I have several packs of hardware store brand but use them only in a pinch because I forgot to order more from a blade supplier.  Buy the way in case you haven't already noticed, this is the best place to get advice. and see what other's have done.  I am always amazed at the talent here.
Bill

Offline MFannin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 07:26:59 pm »
Thanks again Busco.   I also have a 'finance minister', aka CINCWIFE (commander-in-chief Wife) who is flabbergasted at my latest hobby.  I also do leather working and industrial sewing.  I have yet to convince her that all these hobbies are related and complimentary :)   I would like to make $$ with this hobby.  Just enough to pay for itself.  I have a grand daughter (my first) and now I see all kinds of things I want to make for her; blocks, gears, piggy bank, her name, etc.  Scrolling gives so much in terms of lasting items that will be treasured.  Intarsia looks very interesting as well.  I wanted to save up for a nice scroll saw but I feel I might cave in and start with the WEN 3920 until I prove myself to CINCWIFE.  Thanks for your advice.  Keep in touch.  Mark in Colorado.   
Mark Fannin
KA0BUD

SMF

Teknoromi