Author Topic: Dull Blade Question  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Wooddawg

• View Profile
Dull Blade Question
« on: December 28, 2017, 11:53:14 am »
What do you do with the blade that has gotten dull. Does anyone have reuse the dull blade...repurpose the blade?

Thanks Don
Don Floyd (Wooddawg)
USAF, DAV, Vietnam Era,
and Proud American

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Dull Blade Question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:53:53 pm »
There is no way I would use a dull blade. (I am editing this post to say that like the answer above - I DO use them to 'rough cut' wood into smaller pieces to handle the wood better. Many times they give out and break when doing that, but at least I don't have to use a new blade for this rough cutting. :) ) They are so cheap and they aren't made to last forever. It makes things difficult to cut and burns the wood and doesn't cut right. That isn't the place to pinch pennies on sawing. When you have to push harder, you are more likey to make more errors. It just isn't worth it. At less than $1 per blade (typically) let it rest in peace. ;)

Sheila
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:43:34 am by scrollgirl »
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:40:45 pm »
Do what I have been doing for years.
Put a metal coffee can on a table near your saw and place the broken / bent / dull blade in it. In about 10 or 20 years or so the can will be about full and ready for disposal. Put the lid on the can and take it to a metal recycling place or land fill for disposal.
Never put to old used blades in the regular trash as someone can get poked, cut, stabbed and infected from a small wound and won't be too happy with the happy scroll saw person.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 07:36:20 am »
I'll use a dull blade to cut down the size of my material then when my pieces are smaller and easier to manage then I'll switch to a new blade to start cutting out my patterns.  Don't know if it saves me anything or not
Bill

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 11:07:47 am »
Put a metal coffee can on a table near your saw and place the broken / bent / dull blade in it. In about 10 or 20 years or so the can will be about full and ready for disposal. Put the lid on the can and take it to a metal recycling place or land fill for disposal.
Never put to old used blades in the regular trash as someone can get poked, cut, stabbed and infected from a small wound and won't be too happy with the happy scroll saw person.

The question is, where do you find a metal coffee can these days??
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 12:02:58 pm »
 ;D Would you believe Walmart still sells their brand of coffee in metal cans. Still a lot of uses for them.  ;D ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 03:43:16 pm »

The question is, where do you find a metal coffee can these days??

Well, you do have a good point . I have been saving coffee cans for years and have several metal ones. However, I suppose the heavier plastic (newer ones) will work.
My point of course was to use something that the blades WON'T  poke through and injure an unsuspecting bystander. In any case, be sure to replace the lid on the can . Playing "Pick-up" with scroll saw blades ain't no fun even with a magnet. LOL
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 11:31:15 pm »
I have been reading an old copy of SSW&C issue 06 from 2002. An article in there says use your old blades to spread CA glue on pieces you have scrolled and need to glue together in your project. So there you go.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:25:26 am »
I never saved mine, I had a old cat litter bucket under my saw used it to toss cut outs and scrap into and tossed dull blades in it, when it was full I took it straight outside to the big trash can and dumped it out. I never put mine in a trash bag in the inside trash can.

I can concur there is no other pain than trying to pick up and find a gross of blades that somehow got scattered on the floor, more so on a dark wooden floor, a magnet does help but still a pain.

SMF

Teknoromi