Author Topic: Which is better?  (Read 3285 times)

DaMunchMan

Which is better?
« on: December 22, 2015, 05:52:02 pm »
First off hello to everyone here! I've been lurking and reading and it's so nice to find a place with so much knowledge and nice people willing to share their knowledge.

My question is something everyone asks. I've read reviews and posts all over the Internet and I'm still unsure of what to get. I'm looking for advice on aquiring a decent scroll saw.

I'm trying to choose between the Delta 40-694 20in or the Dewalt 788 20in at the moment. Is one better than the other? Im leaning toward the Delta and im ready to make my purchase within the next week.I am a complete scroller virgin and have never made saw dust yet but intend to make piles of it soon. I'll be doing all types of work and I'm especially interested in intarsia.

I'm open to other models of scroll saws also. I'd like to stay in the $400-$500 range. I really would prefer a quick or easy release blade as opposed to needing a tool. Something that is durable and works great with minimal vibration. Also maybe share a website or place to get the best deal on my purchase. I looked at craigslist but there's not a lot of choice in my area. I wish I could afford the Excaliber but that's beyond my budget and the Craftsman is affordable but seems high maintenance. Thank you all for your help and I look forward to sharing my creations with you.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
Re: Which is better?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:56:04 pm »
Basically the same saw one yellow one blue and gray

Offline ALG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:14:15 pm »
They are the same. Delta is normally less money. I have a Delta with no problems

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:59:51 pm »
I just bought a 788 and so far really enjoy it i also have a craftsman it's alright but it is definitely an entry saw. Don't get me wrong it has cut a lot of intricate style portraits but the 788 is a beast. The 788 and the delta are pretty much one I the same. I guess just see which one has the better warranty if they are the same then just choose your favorite color lol.

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 05:45:50 am »
On the same line.  I just got my delta yesterday, it's twice the size of the cheap $100 saw I was using.  One question I have is how do you install the blower hose without breaking anything.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 10:32:52 am »
busco,
If you are talking about putting the flex tube onto the steel nipple at the side of the saw.....Stick the end of the flex tube into HOT water (not boiling) for a few minutes and it should slip on with out too much trouble.  A little light (3in1) oil won't hurt either.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

DaMunchMan

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 05:58:21 pm »
Thank you everyone for your help. Im going with the Delta saw. Im more excited than Thor at a two-for-one sale on hammers  :P :P :P :P :P

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 07:42:32 pm »
The Delta unit can be had for as much as $100 cheaper than its yellow cousin. You might take a look at Amazon; when I bought my unit last year there was a $50
mfg. coupon built into the pricing..
 I too had problems with the vent hose. I wound up taping it to the nipple and adding a small hose clamp. works fine.
Jim

DaMunchMan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 08:04:36 pm »
On the same line.  I just got my delta yesterday, it's twice the size of the cheap $100 saw I was using.  One question I have is how do you install the blower hose without breaking anything.

heres a fix i found for that the other day look at the video about 9:20 into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRjwJeAXPLY

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 11:46:32 am »
I forgot about the old trick of using a screwdriver as a hammer and pinching the plastic with pliers to get the tube on the nipple.
My bad, I was thinking of making it an easier and a little more refined way of doing it.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 11:10:09 am »
Mr Rapid Roger I did use the hot water trick and a drop or two of air tool oil the when it was heated up i used the pliers and screwdriver trick to pop it on there piece of cake when you know the tricks thank you.  Now as far as the 40-694 saw is concerned.  Damn I had to learn all over again how to use a scroll saw.  That cheap $100 dollar saw compared to the delta is beyond night and day.  Just to prove it to myself I took the two blades that came with the new saw and put one in the old saw and the other in the new saw, with a piece of 3/4 oak in hand I test cut on both saws.  Seriously amazing the difference, I found I have been missing a lot in quality.

SMF

Teknoromi