Author Topic: Brand Spaking New to the Hobby, could use some tips in Raleigh, NC Area...  (Read 3409 times)

IBMer

Hello,  I finally broke down and bought an entry level Porter Cable scroll saw at Lowes today.   I was never very good in woodshop class, so hopefully I'm improved with age.   I like working with my hands and have build several Jeeps for off-road racing and rock climbing.  

Anyhow, I tried the new machine today using the blades that came with it.  Steve sure makes it look easy...   Turns out it's not as easy to do in person.   I noticed that when I try turning my wood, the blade tends to wander.  I tightened it some, but the same thing happens.  I end up having to back up and try again.   As a result my cuts are all jagged.

I wonder if I'm using a thin enough blade,or a fast enough speed.   Is there anyone in the Raleigh, NC area that might invite me to come watch them in person, maybe get a few pointers from?

John
(IBMer in Raleigh, NC)

R

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Brand Spaking New to the Hobby, could use some tips in Raleigh, NC Area...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »
Hey John, Welcome to the forum! I'm Dan from Southern California. Come on in and join the fun!
First, you need to find the right blade for the type and thickness wood you are using. Second, You need to have proper tension on the blade. Contact Mike at www.mikesworkshop.com for the best blades around. He will set you straight on which blades to use for the project in mind. He will even send you free samples!
As far as tension, You want to hear a high "plink" when you pluck the blade. If you hear a "klunk", it's not tight enough. As far as saw speed, start with a medium speed and go from there. One more point, make sure the teeth on the blade are facing you and down.
Good luck and hang around and read, and ask questions.
Dan In Southern California

rob roy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »
Hi John, I'm Roy from Scotland. Welcome to the forum. I fully agree with DGman and would say to you, follow his advice and you'll be a pro in no time. Come on in and make a pile of sawdust and remember PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and enjoy yourself. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will have an answer, remember the silliest question is the one you don't ask.
Rob Roy.

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:32:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum.    I  am  glad to see  another IBMer doing something besides "Work".  Listen to these guys and gals...  They are very exprienced and Very helpful.   It is a very friendly International group.

Jim. . .
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:43:46 pm »
Would enjoy having you drop by, but the drive would kill ya.

Greetings from South Dakota.  Welcome to the sawdust world.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:19:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum. I am Mahendra from India. Not to worry you will get all the help in this community and within no time we will be seeing your work  :)
Mahendra
mahendra

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:54:53 pm »
Hey, I am relatively new at this hobby as well. Let me tell you it is a fun hobby to be in and this is the best place to be. Keep checking on this forum and dont be afraid to ask any questions. I have learned a ton just from reading the forums and asking questions. In the past 9 months I have learned quite a bit and have seen some pretty cool projects. My best advice though is just jump right on in and try something. If it breaks figure out why and try it again. Ive made some pretty decent project just by trying. Most of all...Have fun!  :)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 06:57:15 am »
Hi John and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  It sounds like a tension problem.  Tighten it up.  There are several excellent tutorial videos out there.  Besides Steve's, I recommend you watch some of Sheila Landry's videos.  They are excellent.  Most of us are self taught.  It just takes some time and practice.  Don't buy your blades at the box stores.  The ones there are not good blades and cost you way more than good ones.  Mikes workshop is the place to go for Flying Dutchman blades.  Get a variety pack and see which ones you like best.  Many years ago, when I first started, I would take a piece of scrap plywood  (any thickness) and draw a bunch of lines on it.  Straight, wavy, zigzag - whatever and cut it up.  I would do that every day before starting whatever project I was working on.  It gave me a feel for what I was doing and how the blade was going to work for me.  I have managed to make a good living off my scrollsaw for a long time now.  Give it a try.  Have fun making sawdust. 

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 08:10:45 am »
Glad you found us John. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. There are people from all over the world here.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 03:04:58 pm »
Hi John, Welcome to the forum, I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.  I see the "family " here has already given their advice and I fully agree with all they say, Mikes blades are the best you will find anywhere, just changing to the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades improved my cutting 100%  and will probably help you in a similar way.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:59 am »
hello John welcome to the forum,i'm Todd from Newfoundland Canada. you found a great spot for learner and expert alike.just ask and i'm sure you'll get the answer your looking for.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

countryscroller

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:33:52 am »
Hi John, I am Dustin from Ohio. With some time you will get used to the saw and learn day by day. That's how the best of them started. Good luck.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 02:32:38 pm »
Hello John! I am Tony,aka,Tonman from Paris, Texas. As Julie said, sounds like a tension problem. Also, make sure your blade is in the holders straight to the table.

jlatorre

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 08:40:57 pm »
hello John, welcome to the forum, I hope you like it here, now enjoy, greetings from chile  juan

SMF

Teknoromi