Author Topic: Table Saw  (Read 2169 times)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Table Saw
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:29:40 pm »
Hi All,
I just bought a new table saw, it is a craftman 10 inch.  It has an a Aluminum top.  What do I use on the top to keep it smooth and take away the scratches from the wood.  In other words, how do I maintain the top of the saw.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

multifasited

Re: Table Saw
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:47:48 pm »
Use only as saw ,not work bench ,Paste wax will help .never leave a pc of treated on the table over nite.
Easy to saw ,hard to do,especially if you have helpers,

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »
Gene,

Been using table saws all my life.  I know you didn't ask, but: be careful, use a gripper or push sticks or blocks, use feather boards.  Lower the blade and run the wood through with power off before actually making the cut and look for possibilities of kickback or getting fingers too close to the blade.  I love using the tablesaw, but until you get accustomed to it pay extra attention.  There are too many woodworkers out there that have less than 10 fingers.  One guy in our local Guild (who is an award winning woodworker) has cut the ends off of the same fingers twice on the same saw while making the same cut several years apart.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »
Same Advice! Pay attention and be careful.
Several years ago I helped my son set up his big Craftsman 10" and my last words when I left to return home were "Be CAREFUL".
4 months later he called and said, "Well I did it".
I asked how bad and his reply, " Took my thumb off at the first knuckle".

Those things do BITE if you let your attention wander and don't keep your mind on the job!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:08:40 am »
This is my 3rd table saw over the years, I do know all the precautions to take, but safty comes first on any saw.  I want to know how to take care of the aluminum top of the saw.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:32:23 am »
Didn't mean to lecture Gene.  My table saw has a cast iron top but my Hawk scrollsaw has aluminium.  I have never need to do anything to the aluminum other than the occasional cleaning followed by an application of paste wax.  The wax both protects the metal and reduces friction when moving material across the table.  I doubt you will need anything else.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline phantom scroller

• I'm Over the pond or In a pond. Hartpury in UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »
I use WD40 silicon spray on all my tool surfaces works for me.

Roly

Graywolf

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:13:02 am »
my, old table saw gave up the ghost last years after 15 years of service, not bad for a $100.00 Pro tec hobby saw. I replaced it with a Craftsman 10". All I do to the top is wax it with Past wax. It should give you years of service.

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 06:57:02 pm »
THanks for the info guys.  It was just as I thought, but wanted to make sure brfore I did anything  that  would not work for the saw table.  Thanks again.  Bill it never hurts to remind people about the rules of safty in the shop with the saws.  Thanks foir the refresher Bill.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

SMF

Teknoromi