Author Topic: Band Saw  (Read 2597 times)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Band Saw
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:57:21 pm »
I am looking to buy a new band saw.  How about some input on different brands.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Band Saw
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:19:53 pm »
I bought a used Jet 14" then put a few Carter upgrades into it (guides, quick release)  It already had a riser block.  It is now a very versatile tool I have used for everything from bandsawn boxes to resawing 10 inch wide boards.  One of my favorite tools.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:10 pm »
Budget?

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

IBMer

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:26:14 pm »
I bought the SKILL Brand 9" bandsaw from Lowes.      My experience is that it lacks the power to cut exotic hard woods.     I wish I had spent the extra money for something with more power, and size capacity since I outgrew this saw after just a few weeks.   Also the blade that comes on it leaves jagged marks, like a pitbull chewed your wood.      I often overload mine when cutting 2 inch thick hardwood.   The thermal breaker goes off and I have to wait a while, open the cover and press the reset.   Very annoying in my opinion.    

If I could do it over, I would have bought a larger, older, heavier duty machine.   Check Craig's List, there are often saws listed in their tools area.   Just make sure that the blade adjustments work well and the blade doesn't wander off the tracks.

ShadowB6

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 01:06:22 am »
Had an Uncle that passed away and my Aunt gave me a lot of his power tools. In the lot was a 9" Craftsman band saw. Sure am glad I didn't go and buy it as I'm not really fond of it. I use it for short simple easy jobs. It's not much good for anything else. My advice - stay away from it.

Mike

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:21:50 am »
Band saws buy the best you can afford, cheap is not an option for this machine, if you want to cut thick wood,this saw needs to be treated with the utmost respect as it takes no enemies if you make a mistake
Jimbo

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:31:19 am »
I have the 14 inch Rikon and could not be happier with it.  I replaced a 9 inch Ryobi that would not cut hot butter.The Rikon is SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Spartan scroller

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:19 am »
Absolutely agree with Jimbo.  Been burned too many times trying to get by on the cheap stuff.  When it comes to any tool but the best you can afford always.

Terry
terrysscrolleshoppe.com

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 05:25:30 pm »
I've got a 14" Grizzly with a riser block kit. I can resaw up to 12" wide and I've had zero problems with it.
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 06:43:10 pm »
Have 14" Rikon great saw if you can afford it

grampa sawdust

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 07:41:26 pm »
I have the 14 inch Rikon and can't complain at all.

Terry Jackson

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:30 pm »
A 14" saw is about the minimum.  For re-saw, you need the riser block to get the 12" vertical capacity, which then needs a blade 105" long.

The least costly ones are on Craig's list, followed by the Ridgid and then probably Grizzzly, Shop Fox, Jet, Rikon and others.  Here is a link http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/category/2  to the Lumberkocks site where all reviews are written by woodworkers.

Be aware that the blade and tension is probably the most important decision.  The frustrating thing can be the small adjustments, or "tuning".

I use a Shop Fox and am quite happy with it.  If I were to replace it I would go for a 240V 20".

Woodmangler

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 09:22:42 pm »
I bought the 17" Grizzly, and even after a few years I am very happy with the purchase. 12" capacity, 2HP, roller guides, fence, etc... grabbed a sale Grizzly was having and got it for less than $850 including shipping. Not sure what they sell for now, but it is a real workhorse and the smoothest machine I have ever had (my 3rd bandsaw)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:13 pm »
Thanks guys, I value the imput.  I am either going with a Grizzly or a Jet 14 inch or bigger, not sure with one yet.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

SMF

Teknoromi