Author Topic: A video worth watching: Christmas Trees from a lathe  (Read 990 times)

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
A video worth watching: Christmas Trees from a lathe
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:15:32 am »
This is remarkable to me.  Even though it isn't scrolling, I would think most would find it inspirational.  This young man shows talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=1yWmqbltB-c

"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: A video worth watching: Christmas Trees from a lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:06:19 am »
I saw that a few weeks ago, it's absolutely brilliant. I actually tried it once - you don't want to see the mess I made of it (my chisel control leaves a lot to be desired lol)
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:56:16 am »
Holy crap that is amazing!!
I'm from North Dakota

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:33:53 am »
I also saw this a few weeks back and asked a question but got no answer. I'll ask again and maybe get lucky. :)

Is that hammer-in chuck he's using something that is common? I'd never seen something like that.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 01:48:33 pm »
I also saw this a few weeks back and asked a question but got no answer. I'll ask again and maybe get lucky. :)

Is that hammer-in chuck he's using something that is common? I'd never seen something like that.

Ray, I seen that done a few times at our woodturning club, they use an old type chuck, it has very little movement in the opening and closing of the jaws, and uses "C" spanners to operate the jaws. They leave the jaws closed tight and the wood a little oversized and just hammer it in.  I personally don't like the method as although it's quick, I can never get it to run true and it can't do the headstock bearings any good.   Just my opinion though.

Keith.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

SMF

Teknoromi