Author Topic: Left handers  (Read 3962 times)

Offline wedo

• View Profile
Re: Left handers
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 06:40:34 pm »
Another lefty! Most things are left handed,  a few are either handed and golf is right handed.
Bill

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 11:30:53 am »
I'm a right hander  ::)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:56:59 am »
Actually, I have to say, after my 'problem' and rotator cuff surgery on the right side, I have learned to do many things in a left-handed manner that I thought I could never do!
The hardest for the first few months was eating!
And if you think about it you can probably figure out what the second hardest was! <bg>

After almost three years I have become 'somewhat' ambidextrous and certain things now just seem natural to do left handed. I even tried bowling and the switch was more of a problem for the movement of the feet than of the arm and hand.

So, OLD dogs CAN learn new tricks!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »
One thing about us left handers is most things are designed for right handers, and we have to adapt. In school, I didn't have a right handed baseball mitt so I had to adapt. Hand power tools are made for right handers so we have to adapt. Most of us left handers are ambidextrous!
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 08:20:32 pm »
Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but to really be "ambidextrous" means to use either hand with equal ease.  In other words, what you can do with one hand, can be done just as easily with the other.  Most of us can do things with one hand or the other, but very few can use either to do the same thing.  I write, throw, bat, golf and do most things that require dexterity with my left hand, however, as dgman was talking about, I've learned to adapt to doing a lot of things with my right hand, especially in situations where there is a particular "tool" for that task that's only available in a right handed version.  This doesn't make me ambidextrous, it just makes me able to do some things left handed, and some right....like most people can.  Yes there are some who can't use their non-dominant hand for much of anything other than a paperweight, but in reality, I think those people are as few and far between as the truly ambidextrous.
I'm just sayin'  ;D
Forgive me for rambling

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:34 pm »
Yeah yeah yeah, You were probably a bully in high school! ::)
Just Kidding Mainewoods! The point I was making is most left handers use their right hand more than right hander use their left hand.
Dan In Southern California

Becky

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:17 pm »
I'm a natural lefty but when I learn to do something by watching and imitating, I typically do it the way I was shown - usually right handed.  If there is such a thing, I probably scroll right handed because I learned to do it by watching Steve's videos.  The main difference is that he usually goes counterclockwise and I usually go clockwise.  Go figure, lol.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 10:15:08 pm »
Hey Maine....,

My youngest son is 'truly' ambidextrous.

Throw him a ball and if he catches it with the left hand he will throw it back with that hand and vice versa.
He also will pick up a pen with either hand and start to write without thinking.
Have not seen him wipe, but I will bet that the hand used is determined by which side the TP is hanging from the wall!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tux_linux

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 03:11:37 am »
The main difference is that he[right hand Steve] usually goes counterclockwise and I usually go clockwise.

*lol* seems to be a typical left hand working direction to scroll clockwise.

@ Mainewoods
You're right. Back in school i remember a girl who was able to write with both hands at the same time.

regards
Torsten

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 03:38:15 am »
Don't worry maine. You can't burst my bubble, just like you can't be "truly ambidextrous".
This doesn't make me ambidextrous, it just makes me able to do some things left handed, and some right.
I am one of the few and far between "truly ambidextrous" and we have a club. Sorry but you can't be a member of that either. Oh, your forgiven.  8)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:53:32 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 04:35:12 am »
Hi Russ, can I join the club it's proberby to far for me to travel. Have done verything both hands just as far as I can remember. Have to us my r-hand more now as my left hand has lost strenght after my stroke, but really have to remind myself not to pick up a kettle with boiling water just because it's on my left.
So my bubble has not been burst either.
I wonder if being ambidextrous runs in families, my grandmother was and I have to cousins that are as well and so is my nephew.
David

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 08:09:39 am »
Serious Left-Hander here.  God gave me a right hand to hold down paper and wood and scratch with.  Yes, I am creative.  Also a musician.  Flute, sax, piano and guitar.  Still play.  My mom was a lefty and so is my brother and both of my kids.  All creative.

Mainewoods

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:31 am »
I'm glad nobody took offense to what I was trying to say (however poorly) ::).  I envy those of you who are ambidextrous!  There are so many situations where it would be awesome to be able to use my right hand.  Unfortunately, I just don't have the dexterity in it to effectively do a lot of tasks. 

dgman - I am in full agreement!  Lefties do have to learn to do a lot of things right handed.  Some of those things don't come easy.  I remember my dad teaching me to use a chainsaw!  :o That was scary trying to control something that dangerous that was made to be operated right handed!  Got used to it after a while though.

Just to throw some more confusion into things....I'm lefted handed, right footed and right eyed!!  How's that for mixed up!!!! :P

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 08:02:29 am »
My mom managed to find a left handed pencil sharpener back in the 60's.  I still have it and it was great fun to watch my kid's friends try to sharpen a pencil with it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 10:27:05 am »
Are we trying to start a NAALH (National Association for the Advancement of Left Handers) chapter?
I'm a righty but, I hold no grudges against wrong handers.

Rog

That was meant to be funny. It is just a joke son, just a joke. I have a sick sense of humor.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi