Author Topic: Progress report on Gimpy Gabby  (Read 5927 times)

stipes

Re: Progress report on Gimpy Gabby
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 12:16:14 pm »
You take it easy Gabby. Get healed up really good and I know you going insane not being able to do what you used to before, but in time, you take care of yourself and dont worry the small stuff...
    You take it easy and dont push yourself...Take care, and folks our age we aint perverts, just proverts....LOL!!!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 03:31:01 am »
Yup Taking it easy and getting fat and sassy. I had bottomed out at 155# and have recovered to 175 stripped 180 dressed. Time to taper off on the chow, I don't want to get any heavier.
I had built a log cabin bird house for Laurie shortly after moving here, and it finally got smashed by a falling limb, it was getting pretty rotten anyhow.
So I'm building another to replace it. I was able to cut a couple straight branches from our apple tree, and have almost got the walls built. On the first one Laurie put pebbles around the base for the foundation, so I'll replicate that on this one too. I have discovered apple is pretty tough stuff, my razor sharp Buck knife will just barely touch it. I'm thinking it would make some cool walking sticks, and may try that in the future.
I'm up to 3MPH on the treadmill and 0.50 Miles progress is being made, chest is still tender but it's getting better day by day.
Thank you all for the uplifting thoughts and prayers. They are truly appreciated.
As I tell the folks here, I'm still vertical and taking nourishment.  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SheGold

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 06:58:46 am »
Way to go Gabby. We all miss you here but, we understand you taking it easy.. Keep up the good work my friend... Hugs.. Sheila

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 09:50:52 am »
3 mph and half mile! You training for the Senior Olympics?

Watch out, those PT's like to sneak in a degree or two of 'rise' on that treadmill and you really notice the difference...

Keep on pluggin', Pard!

HUGZZZZZZZZZZZZ

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 10:15:18 am »
Good going Gabby....Keep up the good work.  By the way, I have never seen a bird with a walking stick!! ;D
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »
well you can't be doing that bad with your recovery, you can already walk faster and a lot further than I can!!!! Keep up the progress, soon you will be fit as a fiddle and running rings round all of us. (not that you would want to though  ;D)
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 03:49:32 am »
Good going Gabby....Keep up the good work.  By the way, I have never seen a bird with a walking stick!! ;D

I haven't either.  ;D ;D But I've seen plenty of old codgers like me with them.  ::) ::)
I peeled the branches and after limbing they have interesting bumps about every 3 or 4 inches, and I think stained and sealed with BLO, and rubbed to a good gloss I might even be able to sell one now and then.
Watching the program at yankee workshop where they were steaming and bending the oak splits, I think I could bend the handles and make the crooks more interesting than the common walking canes you see in the drug store displays. Those are BOREING !!

GB
Prior to my stint in the hospital I regularly did .75 MI in 15 minutes which is at 3.5 MPH, I'm not ready for that speed just yet. I'm starting some other exercises too but keeping it baby steps so I don't over do it again.
The tread mill we have is a tread climber, but it can be locked to operate as a flat treadmill, which is how I'm using it. I may shift over to the climber once I'm fully healed.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 11:05:09 am »
Hey Gabby.  You can really tweak a walking stick with nail studs  and hanging/dangling things, leather fringes etc.  I made one once and it sold for $125.00 :)
I'm from North Dakota

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 11:16:35 am »
Gabby,  glad to see you getting stronger day by day.  Slow and sure and you will probably out live us all......LOL

DH made some hiking sticks for his two daughters and their husbands.  Had a leather strap towards the top to put around your wrist.  Did a little woodburning on the side.  The Kids loved them!
ChelCass

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 04:21:32 am »
I've played around with walking sticks some but wasn't very happy with the results, need to find some better wood, some of them I've seen are made from small trees that have been strangled by a climbing vine, those usually have some great character, but I don't know where to find them. I'm using a regular wood cane with the half circle handle because if you want to empty your hand you can hang it on your fore arm and have both hands free.
I like the idea of decorating them with leather and such Judy as I've worked with leather in the past. Made custom gun holsters but it's hard to get what they are worth for materials and your time. Ended up giving all my leather tools to my Son in law.
We'll see what happens as my healing progresses. I'm still going nuts sitting on my A$$.
Make some sawdust for me!
Later my friends,
Gabby

MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
wished we lived closer. I have been stock piling crooked branches that are really interesting shapes from lilac and karaganda (sp)? just need some knife work for clean up and decorating.  Thre just aren't enough hours in my days.  My saw is feeling neglected  :D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 01:34:30 pm »
After 6 months, my saw won't remember how to cut a straight line anymore. LOL The weather hasn't settled down here just yet so I'm leaving it stored, I don't want any rust !

I suppose if I was able to get around in the woods like I used to do, I could find some nice sticks.
OH Well! ::)

Gimpy Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi