Author Topic: Progress report on Gimpy Gabby  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Progress report on Gimpy Gabby
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:34:19 am »
Hey Y'all I'm still verticle and taking nourishment. Playing a little pool at the Senior Center and using the treadmill to help build my stamina. I'm up to about a half mile in about 10 minutes, I'll keep increasing that little by little depending on how it feels as I go along.
I got brave Friday coming home and made the boss switch places with me and drove her car the 1/2 mile of our private drive home. Then Saturday I got really froggy and mowed about a 1/4 acre patch I call the deer pasture, drove my Dodge P/U to get the mail and newspaper. Today I mowed another 3/4 acre or so including the dog's yard. I know I've done something different but I don't feel like I've over done it. Some of those bumps were a bit uncomfortable which is why I didn't push it any farther.
My rider mower is a life saver, I couldn't do it at all with a push mower. I may drive myself to town tomorrow, we'll see how I feel then. One thing about all this activity it made me feel less of an invalid, and maybe useful after all. The word invalid means without validity usefulness value or worth. No wonder sick people feel so crappy!
I know it gave me a boost, and it makes me feel like I'm making progress, which sitting around the house all day doesn't help a whole lot. I've been getting some good e mail from some of you and the jokes and beautiful photos brighten my days. The nice part is I can view them and it doesn't take a whole lot out of my energy if I'm feeling low on gas that day. Writing has been the hard part and that is improving too, I was having a hard time thinking of what I wanted to say, and my hands were so shaky it was difficult to type and I spent as much timefixing typos as I was writing.
Well that's about it for now.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Progress report on Gimpy Gabby
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:28:10 am »
Glad you are feeling improved and useful.  We all need to feel that we can do things even if they are only trivial things.  Keep up the steady progress my friend.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:43:47 am »
It's great to see you posting again. I want you to know that I will continue to keep you in my prayers following your recent setback. I am happy to hear that the you're making progress and trust that your healing will be steady and more progressive in the days and months ahead.

Life is particularly challenging during these times as we all have been in the position of having things going well, and then something happens like this to remind us the real value of life.

Feel better, smile, and keep up your spirits. You are moving ahead, and that?s all that matters.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:53:43 am »
It's hard to be patient with recovery, but it sounds like you have it under control, Gabby.  Hurry up and take your time getting well.   ;)
Scrolling has its perks

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:06:43 am »
Awesome news! I hope you continue to get better!!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:11:12 am »
I'm so glad to hear you are getting around.  Take it one day at a time.  Little by little it will get better.  Continued prayers and best wishes.

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:22:34 am »
It's funny Gabby....I feel fine and I spend most of my time fixing typo's!!!  Take it easy and recovery will come fast...Prayers still comming your way.....Ron and Phyllis
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:01:12 am »
Good to hear from you.  Isn't it amazing how mowing gives you a boost. I am not sure if it is the excercise, the fresh air, or just the feeling useful again.  I am so happy up are up and doingthe things that help ou.
Just don't overdo.  Yeah right!!  ;D Your body knows what you should and should not do but us old farts don't listen to our bodies as well as we should sometimes. ;)
I'm from North Dakota

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 01:57:00 pm »
Good to see you back on Gabby.  I can sympathize with your emotions.  Not exactly the same, but laid up after my motorcycle wreck with a shattered kneecap etc.  I felt pretty useless.  Trust me!  You are anything but useless or without value.  You will improve, and the fact that you are working towards means it will come sooner.  My wife asked just this weekend how you were doing.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 03:08:48 pm »
Hey Gabby take it easy and don't try to do to much at one time. don't dtress the small stuff, that'll always be there know matter what!
take care
Todd

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 04:14:28 pm »
Hey Gabby, You were NEVER an invalid. Your body might have been weakened by everything, but it is slowly getting better. BUT your MIND has always been at 100%, and that mind has infinate wisdom and knowledge that you have been willing to share with us lowly individuals. This knowledge you share willingly with us has helped out many a beginner (Including myself) and for that we are all grateful. Please take your time and make a full recovery.
PS.  If it's any consolation, I made 23 typo's in this that I counted as I corrected them. So you not alone there either  ;D ;D
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

SheGold

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 05:10:43 pm »
Well Gabby, guess you were reading my mind. I was wondering how you were doing.. Sounds to me the extra activity has helped a bit. I know when I feel bad, if I will do a little something I feel better.. Hope you keep improving, I really miss your postings. Hugs to you... Sheila

rob roy

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:29:04 pm »
Hi Gabby, it's great to be reading your posts again. Looks like we could put some of the worry beads back in the drawer. Take it easy with the grass cutting and don't be doing too much. We're all happy you're back.
Rob Roy.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:56:03 pm »
It is great to hear that you are doing so well. Like you saw about scrolling, "let the saw do the work", so it is with recovery from such a catastrophic event as the one you had, let the body mend, don't push to, your body will let you know when it is ready to make the next steps.  ;)
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Rover2

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 07:27:20 pm »
Good to hear from you Gabby.  Continue with what you are doing and you will be 100% in no time.  My prayers are with you....Al

SMF

Teknoromi